We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2 Posts
    Env details: Server version: Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) / PHP 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.21 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) / MySQL 5.5.22 / MODx 2.4.2-pl

I am running into an issue with what appears to be folder permissions, which are preventing Package Manager from writing to them in order to do its work.

Warning!

Your assets/ directory was not able to be created at: /var/www/modx/assets/
    You will need to create this directory and make it writable if you want to use Package Management or 3rd-Party Components.
    Your assets/components/ directory was not able to be created at: /var/www/modx/assets/components/
    You will need to create this directory and make it writable if you want to use Package Management or 3rd-Party Components.
    Your core/components/ directory was not able to be created at: /var/www/modx/core/components/

I've checked this http://forums.modx.com/thread/29417/cannot-install-packages-through-the-package-manager but the advice didn't pan out for my situation.

All of the respective folders mentioned in the warning above have the following access -->
    drwxrwxr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec  1 19:17 /var/www/modx/assets/ 

I've restarted my Apache server already and tried to clear the cache.

Anyone have any further trouble-shooting experience to share? Thank you.
      • 295 Posts
      the folders need to be writable in order for php to download the packages. I believe we use 0774 in our linux environment for all the modx folders.
        • 2 Posts
        Thanks @comp_nerd25 I'll try that out.
          • 24,544 Posts
          On some servers, 0755 would be correct.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 73 Posts
            I am having an exact same issue. After recent malware attack we moved to new server (with higher security) then i updated modx and now seeing below error message on "package manager" screen.

Your assets/ directory was not able to be created at: /home/example.com/public_html/assets/ 
            Your assets/components/ directory was not able to be created at: /home/example.com/public_html/assets/components/ 
            Your core/components/ directory was not able to be created at: /home/example.com/core/components/ 

So i checked my folder permission and they are as below

drwxr-xr-x 46 name name     4096 Jul 25 03:47 assets
            drwxr-xr-x 57 name name     4096 Jul 31 18:40 core/components
            drwxr-xr-x 30 name name     4096 Apr 30 21:55 assets/components/

Not sure how to solve this, due to this i am not able to update/add packages.
              • 73 Posts
              OK i managed to solve this issue, by changing the owner of these folders to apache:apache. and other folders like core/cache, packages