We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 38 Posts
    Hi,

I couldn't login to my Manager. It's displaying this error:

"The username or password you entered is incorrect. Please check the username, re-type the password, and try again."

I tried Forgot Password link, and I'm getting this error:

"User not found with that email or username. Please try again."

I'm 100% sure I'm using the correct user and password.

How to fix this issue? Any tips? Help please, need your inputs asap.

Regards,
    Rom

• 295 Posts
      try the forget password function. if not you can change this manually within the database, assuming you have either phpmysql or command line access?
        • 295 Posts
        issue query to the database:

UPDATE modx_users SET hash_class = 'hashing.modMD5', password = MD5('the-new-password') WHERE username = 'theusername';

if you dont know what the username issue the following command against the database:

SELECT * FROM modx_users

usually the 1st ID of the username is ID=1 so you could append

WHERE id=1

to the 1st query above
          • 24,544 Posts
          You can also check the database in PhpMyAdmin. The admin should be the first record in both the modx_users and modx_user_attributes tables. The first table will have the username, user ID, password hash, and hash method. The second one will contain the email address.

While you're there, check for extra users in case the site has been hacked.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 38 Posts
            Quote from: BobRay at Nov 27, 2015, 07:29 PM
            You can also check the database in PhpMyAdmin. The admin should be the first record in both the modx_users and modx_user_attributes tables. The first table will have the username, user ID, password hash, and hash method. The second one will contain the email address.

While you're there, check for extra users in case the site has been hacked.

Thanks, Bob. We're currently checking the database. I will update this thread once it's fixed. Thanks again.
              • 24,544 Posts
              I forgot to mention that the first thing to try is deleting all files in the core/cache directory. If you're using a version older than 2.3.0, cache corruption is a real possibility (and you should upgrade for security reasons).

Something else worth noting is that the ID of the admin user (usually 0 -- it's found in the 'id' field of the first record in modx_users) should be in the internalKey field of the first record in the modx_user_attributes table.
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting