We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 45 Posts
    Hi All,

Upgrading a few older sites. From 2.2.16. PHP 5.4.45. Linux/Apache. Hosted by Webfaction. MySQL 5.5.45-37.4

Tried to jump to 2.4.2 but got this error after the Install button is clicked. Note, all the tests passed.
    Fatal error: Call to a member function checkPolicy() on a non-object in /...blah/core/model/modx/modx.class.php on line 1880.

The fatal lines in question.
        /**
         * Returns true if user has the specified policy permission.
         * @param string $pm Permission key to check.
         * @return boolean
         */
        public function hasPermission($pm) {
            $state = $this->context->checkPolicy($pm);
            return $state;
        }

Could this mean the User Object (this) doesn't exist?

So tried an earlier version 2.3.6. Same result. Tried 2.3.0. Same, so not a "too big a jump" thing. Repeated on another website on the same server/setup also at 2.2.16. Same result. In both cases re-installing 2.2.16 works. Suggesting it isn't a "folder not writeable" kind of thing. Note when upgrading using 2.3.0 the checkpolicy call is on line 1876.

Perhaps a database issue, Users not found? But I'm thinking the hosting company setup. Webfaction are awesome (like a VPS for $9.99/month) but they are more Python experts. Perhaps PHP or MySQL has been updated since the installation a year ago.

I had deleted the cache(from the manager). Upgraded all packages (list below) and Flushed Sessions. Then manually deleted the core/cache. And deleted the Firefox Cache on some runs.

Fairly standard Packages. Breadcrumb, FormIt, GetResources, SimpleSearch, SiteAtoZ, TincyMCE, Wayfinder. A few more on the other site.

This is probably a side effect but my notes from last night state...
    After deleting core/cache and browser cache - hit back from the error page and got
    Warning: array_merge(): Argument #2 is not an array in /...blah/core/xpdo/xpdo.class.php on line 341
    Fatal error: Class 'xPDODriver_' not found in /...blah/core/xpdo/xpdo.class.php on line 1880
    Probably a side effect of a half installation.

Had a good rummage around for help. But stumped. At least the sites/manager still work at 2.2.16.

Stuart

This question has been answered by parthian. See the first response.

[ed. note: parthian last edited this post 8 years, 6 months ago.]
      • 24,544 Posts
      Could you report that here?
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 45 Posts
        Quote from: BobRay at Nov 13, 2015, 06:17 PM
        Could you report that here?

Done.

Curious, why the need for GIT? Is that the way for all potential bugs (not sure it is a bug with MODx) or because you're sure it is a bug? Is the forum closed to this kind of thing? Should this be closed?

• 24,544 Posts
          No, it's fine here, but the core developers are much more likely to see it (and fix it if it's a bug) at GitHub, which is where all bug reports go now.

That message, BTW is saying that the context object doesn't exist during a hasPermission() call in setup. Do you have multiple front-end contexts? You might try temporarily renaming the .htaccess file before running setup.
            My MODX Extras
            • 45 Posts
            Each project only used the 'web' FEContext. But I may have toyed with the idea a few years ago when first setting up the sites. Tiny chance that I tried it, it failed, I abandoned the approach and somehow a table or setting is stuck in an odd state. But I'd file that under 'last thing to try'.

.htaccess only has FURL stuff. Renamed it anyway as FURLs can cause havoc from time to time. No change.

I've added the very long Success/Warning messages from the successful re-installation of 2.2.16 to GIT (save cluttering this up). Quite a few Error messages but sites appear to be fine. Lots of "Error updating table for class transport.modTransportProvider" and the like.

Signing off for the night (UK). Have a fine weekend. Thanks.
            • discuss.answer
              • 45 Posts
              Many thanks to Bertoost on the github page.

Same problems here. After some trying and debugging; the "modx_context" table is missing the "name" field..
              So to fix it; try adding "name" in table "modx_context" as a VARCHAR 255 and try running the setup again.
              Is this one not covered in some versions between this two @modxcms ?

All went well after that.
                • 3 Posts
                Quote from: parthian at Nov 24, 2015, 02:03 PM
                Many thanks to Bertoost on the github page.

Same problems here. After some trying and debugging; the "modx_context" table is missing the "name" field..
                So to fix it; try adding "name" in table "modx_context" as a VARCHAR 255 and try running the setup again.
                Is this one not covered in some versions between this two @modxcms ?

All went well after that.

Thank you! I had the same error and that worked for me too.
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  You might want to check the other fields listed here: https://bobsguides.com/blog.html/2016/06/27/missing-db-fields-(unknown-column)/ to make sure you have them.
                    My MODX Extras