We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 77 Posts
    Hello,
    I'm new to Discuss. For a new project I was asked if it is possible to use the same login data for a Discuss Forum and for a "members only" area on the website, for a uniform login.

For instance, if a user registers for a member only area, is it possible to pass the user's credentials to Discuss - in fact creating a forum member with these credentials at the same time?

Thanks for any support,
    Guenter
      • 24,544 Posts
      I wouldn't swear to it, but this may happen automatically. IIRC, every time you create a new user, Discuss creates a duplicate user with exactly the same data.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 1,154 Posts
        Hi I think I can answer and can also check for you.

Making a user in Discuss will make a Modx user (with Class Key of "Moduser" and group membership in "User Group" as "Forum Member"), and I can pass tonnes of extended fields into that tab. All accessible through the normal modx user tab.

The reverse won't work at all, and I would daresay only a fool would try to make Discuss recognize a user signing up sort of 'outside' Discuss. Not to say you are a fool of course ;-)

But "passing" the data to Modx is already happening, this is due to Discuss's inability to really stand alone in any way as far as user management. It tries to add a couple of extra fields to make a user profile (but mostly fails at that), and that's about it. Not to criticize; its not all that hard to manage these issues independently. But Discuss doesn't do it, much.

Now the user group issue is different, but the user is 'already' in Modx, full stop. So upgrading a Mod user would presumably be just whatever the normal process is for doing that. Like Modx has one clear path to do that haha.

So, going from Discuss to upgraded should be relatively easy, the reverse would be hard. But remember group affiliation is determined at login, and so it could/should be as easy as adding a user group to the register snippet.

Feel free to ask questions. HTH

Another issue is signing in to both discuss and the manager, it doesn't seem to happen. I myself must sign in on the front side and the back side, totally independently. {Its so shameful}

For this issue, one of our great developer users has provided a fix, if you need it it is in these forums from 6 months back or so, and I might be able to help you find it. Its a simple adjustment to just the right file... :-D