We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 322 Posts
    One change in 2.4.2 is restoring the styles for unpublished and hidden pages:

"Different tree styles for unpublished + hidemenu"

It certainly was strange when this got changed. Now, it's changed back, but I've always felt like the styles were backwards. Unpublished pages should be gray, and pages hidden from the menus should be black (or whatever the current color is for published pages) and italics. This way, it makes sense visually: full-color text means the page is visible on the web, gray means it is not. I've had clients who had trouble distinguishing unpublished pages because the text color is the same as published pages.

Anyone else feel the same way?
      • 24,544 Posts
      Even after all this time, I can never remember which is which. It's tricky because there are really 4 separate conditions.

I'd like to see:

Green = published
      Gray = unpublished
      Italic = not shown in menus
      Roman = shown in menus (+ maybe bold) [ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 8 years, 7 months ago.]
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 322 Posts
        Hmm. Hadn't thought of that before, but you're right. I guess if a page is unpublished I don't care if hide from menus is set or not! On my most recent sites, I add an extra stylesheet that loads for manager pages. It makes unpublished resources gray, and published ones are the blue text color, with ones hidden from menus the lighter blue color. In MODX 2.3 and above, the text for resources in trees is not bold, so are you proposing that they SHOULD be bold, except for ones hidden from the menus? (I would make resources shown in menus roman, not italic, since that's the "normal" status).

So I just updated my manager stylesheet to make hide from menus italic, published the regular dark blue color, and unpublished gray. This way, resources that are unpublished and hidden from menus are both gray and italic. It works!
          • 24,544 Posts
          Agreed, I had the italic/roman thing backwards.

I like your setup too, though. Where is that manager stylesheet? I may play around with it.

Does it get overwritten on upgrades?
            My MODX Extras
            • 322 Posts
            I added a plugin with just this in it:

$modx->regClientStartupHTMLBlock('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="'.MODX_BASE_URL.'css/manager.css" />');

and set it to trigger on OnManagerPageInit. In the manager.css file I have:

#modx-content {
            	height:100%;
            }
            .unpublished, .unpublished a span, .unpublished i.icon, .unpublished i.icon-large {
            	color:#999 !important;
            	font-style: normal;
            }
            .hidemenu a span {
            	font-style: italic;
            }
            .unpublished.hidemenu a span {
            	color:#aaa !important;
            }

The first item makes the right side of the MODX window full-height. Certain CMPs I make were getting cut off because the container wasn't set to full height, like it used to be in older versions MODX (pre-2.2.16). [ed. note: rainbowtiger last edited this post 8 years, 7 months ago.]
              • 24,544 Posts
              Very nice. Do you mind if I do a blog post on it?

My MODX Extras
                • 322 Posts
                Please do!