We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 109 Posts
    Greetings,

I've seen BobRay post a couple of times suggesting the following upgrade path with hints that some DB tables, columns, indices, etc. may not be created if the intermediate steps aren't taken:

2.2.15 => 2.3.0 => 2.3.6 => 2.4.x

Any formal rules other experience on this? I'd like -- no surprise -- to take the fewest steps possible, but don't want things broken for missing bits of DB configuration.

@BobRay -- BTW: I've been watching UpgradeMODX development (an excellent work), and will be a user once it gets a little older.
      • 24,544 Posts
      UpgradeMODX just does automatically what you do by hand. It downloads the files, puts them in place, then launches Setup. It works in almost every case, and so far when it doesn't, it doesn't do anything at all, so there's no harm in trying it.

In addition, UpgradeMODX clears all the cache files before you log in. This prevents a number of anomalies in the Manager that often make people think there's something wrong with an upgrade when actually everything is fine except some stuff stuck in the cache.

On localhost, every time I upgrade the old-fashioned way, the Manager is goofed up. Every time I upgrade with UpgradeMODX, the Manager is perfect right away.

On the upgrade steps. People who've made large upgrade jumps have reported some problems. My suggestion above is a guess, but so far no one has reported trying it.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting