We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,078 Posts
    Just updated to 2.4.2 and the manager displays a message about a Configuration Warning: Core folder is accessible by web.

Following the message's instruction, I renamed the ht.access in the core folder to .htaccess, but the message about configuration warning is still displaying in the manager.

Navigating to core or directories within the core directory successfully returns a 404 page not found. All good there I guess. But how do I get the manager to update or remove this message?

This question has been answered by multiple community members. See the first response.

• discuss.answer
      • 1,572 Posts
      Change the content of the .htaccess in that folder to

IndexIgnore */*
      <Files *>
      Order Deny,Allow
      Deny from all
      </Files>
        • 1,078 Posts
        Good Morning Paul:

I just found your previous post. Thanks for following up. Worked perfect!

Thanks!
          • 1,078 Posts
          Hi Paul:
          I am performing this change on another MODx site, and the manager is still displaying the warning message about the core directory being accessbile.
          I used the Code Editor in cPanel to make the change to the htaccess file located in the core directory. Not sure whether this would have any affect, but I Cleared the site cache from within the manage, and also manually cleared the core cache using the cPanel File Manger.

I'm stumped.

Quote from: paulp at Oct 08, 2015, 01:04 PM

IndexIgnore */*
          <files *="">
          Order Deny,Allow
          Deny from all
          </files>
            • 1,078 Posts
            Just tried that, and the warning is still on the manager dashboard. Of course – just noticed that the name of the htaccess was ht.access.
            I changed the name to .htaccess. Now I am unable to see the .htaccess file in cPanel.

So I have a .htaccess file with your most recent suggestion input, but the warning is still visible in the manager dashboard.

Quote from: paulp at Oct 08, 2015, 01:04 PM

IndexIgnore */*
            <files *="">
            Order Deny,Allow
            Deny from all
            </files>
            • discuss.answer
              • 1,078 Posts
              OK. I found how to change the cPanel File Manager settings to allow me to see the hidden dot files.
              I changed the .htaccess content in the core directory to

IndexIgnore */*
              <files *>
              Order Deny,Allow
              Deny from all
              </files>

Now the warning is gone.
              If I navigate to the core directory, the home page of the site loads. Yes... I need to create my error pages smiley

All seems to be working great now. Thanks for jumping in with feedback Paul. Have a terrific rest of the weekend.
                • 380 Posts
                The default ht.access shipped has the wrong code

IndexIgnore */*
                <Files *.php>
                    Order Deny,Allow
                    Deny from all
                </Files>

<Files *.php>
                • Actually the internal code should not check for access to all files, it should only check for access to .php files. There are text files that could be readable. I think the general idea was that the core is best outside of the web root for stronger security.
                    Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                    Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                    Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                    • 1,078 Posts
                    Have I created yet another problem by modifying my .htaccess?

I have some sites that I installed via Softaculous. Not quite sure how to back out of that and convert to an Advanced. Perhaps it's as simple as performing the steps for advanced, modifying paths etc. and then just knowing that I can no longer use Softaculous for super fast updates?

• 670 Posts
                      I know this is an old post - but I have the same problem with V 2.5.1

But the contents of my .htaccess within the core folder is totally different to previous versions:

# deny access to _all_ files in the core, including changelog.txt and error.log
                      # original borrowed from owncloud

# line below if for Apache 2.4
                      <ifModule mod_authz_core.c>
                          Require all denied
                      </ifModule>

# line below if for Apache 2.2
                      <ifModule !mod_authz_core.c>
                          deny from all
                          Satisfy All
                      </ifModule>

# section for Apache 2.2 and 2.4
                      IndexIgnore *