We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 59 Posts
    Hi,

My aim is to present spreadsheet data-feeds (.txt or .xml) in HTML.

The REVO extra getFeed would serve my purposes, but I am on EVO.

Here is what I came up with so far:

1) My data-feeds are in .txt.
    2) My column headings are for example:
    - id
    - property type
    - minimum rental period
    3) I have multiple data-feeds with different column headings in each.
    4) I have the HMTL chunk written for how I wish to present the data-feed details for each record on my website.
    5) For the HTML chunks did I use "placeholders" (similar to how I would use template variables) for each of my column headings (so for example, a placeholder would be "property type").
    6) My question is where to store the data-feed spreadsheet on my server and MODx?
    7) Another question, the big question, since I cannot use getFeed, is how to have the HTML chunk call on the data-feed spreadsheet to grab the details of each record? I guess I would need a snippet and make a call from my template in which I place the data-feed chunk?

Any advise (possible extras, snippets) to help me think and act in the right direction is much appreciated.
      • 295 Posts
      why dont you store them in a modx database using MIGX? much easier to do than scraping data from an xml or txt file which is very old fashion way of doing it.
        • 59 Posts
        Quote from: comp_nerd26 at Oct 02, 2015, 03:23 PM
        why dont you store them in a modx database using MIGX? much easier to do than scraping data from an xml or txt file which is very old fashion way of doing it.

I am using MODx EVO and MIGX seems to be REVO only... sad

Any alternative I can use that is similar for my EVO site?
          • 295 Posts
          ah right ok, ive not used evo sad
          but regarding storing the data, on my websites ive created a separate system from modx as a sub domain, then just used Curl in a snippet to retrieve the data.
            • 59 Posts
            Quote from: comp_nerd26 at Oct 02, 2015, 03:45 PM
            ah right ok, ive not used evo sad
            but regarding storing the data, on my websites ive created a separate system from modx as a sub domain, then just used Curl in a snippet to retrieve the data.

Thanks, @comp_nerd26, I hope to find a similar solution to how getFeed (REVO) works but then for my EVO... thanks anyways.

If anybody has some ideas...
              • 1,198 Posts
              Try FeedX for Evo
                Free MODx Graphic resources and Templates www.tattoocms.it
                -----------------------------------------------------

MODx IT  www.modx.it
                -----------------------------------------------------

bubuna.com - Web & Multimedia Design