We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 295 Posts
    Quote from: markh at Oct 07, 2015, 03:12 PM
    The alternative to use the base tag is setting link_tag_scheme to abs; that will make sure links are not relative (news.html) but absolute (/news.html), which will also resolve the problem. For Wayfinder, this also needs to be set with a &scheme=`abs` property as that doesn't inherit the system setting properly.

Ok great thanks Mark for the input wink
      • 179 Posts
      I've had difficulty in the past when using media sources to generate relative URLs for image paths etc. Does the system schema property control behaviour with those too? I presume not, as they are controlled completely and independently by the media source settings. In which case I suppose we're just talking about whether you choose to proceed with, or without <base> set to the site root URL.

I'm intrigued that it's in the support docs. Can we identify a specific case where Modx is dependent on <base>? I quite like the idea of not using it where I can get away with it, but I'd also like to have it on record where it's necessary, or where I might run into complications.

Putting a slash in front of URLs seems a more flexible approach to solving the relative URL problem, and I've read that <base> was never really designed for that purpose in the first place, or something like that. Allegedly we're abusing it a little.