We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 129 Posts
    I am wondering if there is an easy way to export only the resources saved by Articles for a blog (the actual blog posts and their related tags, images). I am moving a blog out of a larger website into a stand alone website just for the blog.

In worse case scenario, I can sit down with a six pack and start cutting & pasting, but simply exporting the data would be much more enjoyable (and productive).

edit: While it is likely obvious, both the old and the new installs are MODX based ;-) [ed. note: mrcycling last edited this post 8 years, 7 months ago.]
      Pedalers Bicycle Tours my website forged with MODX
      vandergraaf-M static website generator for MODX
      • 1,145 Posts
      Let' share that six pack...pack of what?

I use phpMyAdmin to quickly dump resources of a certain parent.
      Ca upload on the other end
        TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
        Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
        5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
        • 129 Posts
        The six pack would be Leo Beer (Thai).

Which tables are you dumping? I found that the main blog post body is in the modx_site_content along with every other resource, but what about tags or images or comments. Also I guess I would have to manually edit the SQL so that the template ID matched the new MODX assigned number?
          Pedalers Bicycle Tours my website forged with MODX
          vandergraaf-M static website generator for MODX
          • 295 Posts
          i havnt found an easy way to do this, we had over 300 blogs we had to transfer to a different modx site which has you can imagine was time consuming sad
            • 24,544 Posts
            The problem is that the Template and TV references would be wrong unless you export and import them as well, so it would corrupt your new site. If you just want the content, a custom snippet could save them and another custom snippet could pull them into the new site. They're easy to identify by their class_key field (which contains 'article', or 'Article' -- can't remember which).

I'm not sure this would work, but I think you might be able to do it with MyComponent, since all the articles have a common parent. You could put the template and relevant TVs into a category (if you need them). Most of the MyComponent config file could be deleted other than the category and resource parent. It would build a transport package that you could install at the new site.

It's kind of funky, but it might beat the all-night copy-and-paste sessions.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 1,572 Posts
              Either Bob's suggestion above or transfer the entire site over and use Batcher to delete all resources you don't want https://rtfm.modx.com/extras/revo/batcher#Batcher-Usage