We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,154 Posts
    Hey iusemodx, haha its funny you say that because we have def locked horns before. But later I figured out you were totally right when I had to build a quick mobile site smiley So mea culpa from me to you.

That's a lot of useful info there for sure. Its very useful at this point in a person's development, when the initial hacking is done and its time to see the bigger picture. Going through the code, now that its familiar, and organizing it is a great way to gain control and understanding.

I think your complaint was my using stuff like <header> imprecisely. Sorry about that and thanks for the correction. Its very good effort, thank you.

Also, thinking a bit more, its incredibly important to choose your css selectors correctly. Part of the fun of css is considering how best to target what you want. Do I want to lump some design elements together so I can change the whole color scheme quickly, or do I need to separate them for some reason? If I lump them together maybe a define a class for all of them then style that class, but then I must be careful not to target some of those elements in other ways (regarding the same aspects), like from their <div> for example.

Well, imprecise language again, but HTH. [ed. note: nuan88 last edited this post 8 years, 7 months ago.]
      • 9 Posts
      How good is your understanding of HTML + CSS ?

@lusemodx: well, not at all advanced, though significantly better than it was about a week ago (when it was more or less zero). You're certainly not going to tread on my toes by assuming I'm extremely inexperienced here & I'm grateful for the examples - I've downloaded them and found them very useful in visualising what's going on.

I downloaded MODX with the intention of making a simple site for a musical project I'm involved in, but I've found it an enjoyable learning process and over the next few months I'm probably going to see if I can put together a few little sites for friends and family, too.
        • 953 Posts
        Quote from: nuan88 at Sep 11, 2015, 03:29 AM
        Hey iusemodx, haha its funny you say that because we have def locked horns before. But later I figured out you were totally right when I had to build a quick mobile site smiley So mea culpa from me to you.

Glad it helped you out in the end smiley I've stepped on more than one persons toes though smiley

Quote from: filcher at Sep 12, 2015, 01:58 PM
        I've downloaded them and found them very useful in visualising what's going on

That's good to hear