We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    MODX 2.4.0 reverses the handling of the OnBeforeManagerLogin and OnBeforeWebLogin events. This breaks the Captcha plugin and any other plugin that rejects users based on those events.

I'll release a new version of Captcha once I find out for sure that the change won't be reverted.

In the meantime -- disable the Captcha plugin and clear the cache before upgrading.

A quick fix for the problem is to change this line (near line 41) of the captcha plugin from this:

$rt = true;

to this:

$rt = false;

This only applies to 2.4.1.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • 17 Posts
      My experience was that simply disabling, and even removing, the Captcha plugin was not sufficient. It was necessary to go through the site's files manually and remove every trace of Captcha. Only then was I able to upgrade, then log in successfully.

As an extra added bonus, removing Captcha broke the site's contact form -- which was using SPForm with the Captcha-generated math problem activated. The entire page in which the form is embedded wouldn't load. Instead, we got a stark white error page with a message advising that Captcha was required in order for SPForm to work.

The solution was to set the SPForm requireVerify property to "No". I also set the useMathString and warnVerify properties to "No" while I was at it, but those two were probably superfluous. (I set it in the Properties, but I believe I could have also switched it off by adding "&requireVerify=`No`" to the tag calling for the SPForm snippet.)
        • 24,544 Posts
        From what I understand, the change will be reverted in an upcoming release of MODX. it's already been patched at GitHub.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 17 Posts
          Quote from: BobRay at Sep 05, 2015, 06:43 PM
          From what I understand, the change will be reverted in an upcoming release of MODX. it's already been patched at GitHub.

OK, I'll wait patiently, then wink