We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 322 Posts
    Quote from: BobRay at Aug 27, 2015, 05:26 PM
    Two people I trust reported serious problems there (not with installing MODX or performance, but dealing with issues later - in one case, all site backups made by the host were corrupted).
    What was the other issue about?
    • Quote from: rainbowtiger at Aug 27, 2015, 04:30 PM
      You could also call SkyToaster "cheap hosting", because the rates are similar for what you get.

I would beg to differ, and only to state what I am sure of (no arguments allowed here :~} )

When Site5 builds their own site with MODX, I will then consider them possibly equal to SkyToaster for MODX hosting. Until then, SkyToaster wins despite how ever they configure their servers. And backups have always been full and not corrupted.

Quote from: rainbowtiger at Aug 27, 2015, 04:30 PM
      Storing many GB worth of backups in your server space is not allowed, so they would not approve more disk space for this reason. "Unlimited" means you can get as much disk space as you need, without paying extra, as long as you have a valid reason and it's not going to impact server performance.

Is 5gb worth of backups and duplicated folders what Site5 allows for unlimited hosting? Seems like a lot to me. No notice yet that I'm aware of of this being a problem yet. Shrug...

Quote from: rainbowtiger at Aug 27, 2015, 04:30 PM
      Also, what do you mean by "manually created with their backup tool"? Do you mean "Backups" in the control panel File section? Their control panel is a modification of cPanel, so there's no telling if the problem would not be the same if you were at a different host that uses the stock cPanel setup. Perhaps this particular assets folder has something in it that cPanel doesn't get right in its backups.

Yep, I click on backup full site manually.

I've backed this site up with their modified tool prior to updating MODX probably 5 times in the past two years. I download the backup, and on at least 3 times prior that I recall have unpacked it and found missing folders and files. After a successful upgrade, I then just trash the backup because it's useless anyway breathing a sigh of relief. Yes, I have forgotten ahead of updating that the last backup was useless, but I think that's normal for updating a site 2-3 times a year. I'm old and senile maybe but that's not something I had decided is real issue till now after them throwing up their hands and saying none of their auto backups are good and they can't help any further.

I am positive that if SkyToaster had consistently corrupted backups for a whole month, if manual (modified cPanel) backups consistently were corrupted over the course of 2 years, and if they weren't able to restore a MODX (or any other) site from any of their backups that they'd be looking into the issue instead of throwing up their hands and walking away. If it's the assets folder, they would be far more able to debug and repair it than Site5.

Again, going back to the concept that when Site5 builds their own site with MODX, then they get my attention as possibly being MODX Friendly Hosting.

I for one love HostGator for MODX hosting. Big box hosters, who also offer unlimited plans which is suspect, but MODX installs and runs nicely and their support is fabulous but no one there knows a single thing about MODX. They're friendly and Im happy to install and work with MODX on their servers, but I can't recommend them as exactly MODX friendly.
        Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster