We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 16 Posts
    I migrated MODX Revo 2.3 from a test environment to a production server over the weekend and in the new environment, I no longer see any thumbnails of any images, most notably in the Media Browser. However, I'm also seeing this problem manifesting itself in the ContentBlocks add-on, only there, I can't choose an image from the gallery & publish a page at all. I'm forced to upload an image from my desktop (and even then, there's no thumbnail preview).

I've seen several threads regarding thumbnail problems, specifically involving the lack of ImageMagick, which I've been told I have installed on the server.

What can I do to identify the root cause? I'm at a loss as to how to troubleshoot.

Attached is what the Media Gallery looks like right now.

PHP Info: http://www.hoby.org/connectors/index.php?action=system/phpinfo&HTTP_MODAUTH=modx55a27d272fad20.78222933_155a6c85900f8e9.39216357
    • Hello,

Could you tell us about the hosting environment and/or provide us with a public phpinfo page to view? Also did you run the setup again when changing to production to ensure the paths were updated correctly?
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
        • 16 Posts
        Yes. Here is the link to phpinfo for the prod environment:
        http://www.hoby.org/connectors/index.php?action=system/phpinfo&HTTP_MODAUTH=modx55a27d272fad20.78222933_155a6c85900f8e9.39216357

Sorry, you may have to copy/paste the entirety of that URL string into your browser for it to work.

It's a virtual host (Glowhost). It runs PHP 5.3.29. Attached are some server specifics. Let me know if you want anything else about the hosting environment.

And yes, I ran setup and did not encounter any problems; all paths were checked green.
        • The phpinfo link you are providing only works for authenticated manager users. It will not load for anyone else without first logging into your manager instance.

In regards to your attachment that also isn't showing for me, can you please try uploading it again or you can email me directly patrick at (companyname).com

You should also consider updating your PHP version as 5.3.29 has been end of life since August last year, which means there are no security fixes being applied. PHP 5.4.x will be joining it shortly as well.
            Patrick | Server Wrangler
            About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
            • 16 Posts
            Sorry about that, rookie mistake. All documents (server info, phpinfo, and media gallery screenshot are now all attached).

Don't have control over PHP version, I'm on a shared host.

I did notice, however, that phpinfo ISN'T showing ImageMagick installed. Could that be my source of pain more than likely?

Update: new PHPinfo (ignore the one previously attached). ImageMagick installed now. Still no change to thumb issue.
            http://hoby.org/phpinfo.php [ed. note: fnkdumplin1 last edited this post 8 years, 9 months ago.]
              • 16 Posts
              I'm also seeing this error in the log:

[2015-07-12 18:11:14] (ERROR @ /home/hobyorg/public_html/core/model/phpthumb/phpthumb.class.php : 1580) PHP warning: escapeshellarg() has been disabled for security reasons
                • 16 Posts
                I've been doing some digging on 'escapeshellarg()' and this is what Mark Hamstra over at ModMore told me:

I can't say I've seen a requirements list for phpthumb that it requires the escapeshellarg function, but it does make sense. Some of the image handling is done using shell commands, in which case the escapeshellarg function can be used to sanitise inputs. Even if it's a shared host, I would reach out to them asking to have the function re-enabled - after all it is a function that is meant to make things more secure, so they may have simply mixed things up.
                  • 16 Posts
                  Update: escapeshellarg() enabled, but now I'm receiving this error:

[2015-07-20 19:20:07] (ERROR @ /connectors/system/phpthumb.php) Error outputting thumbnail:
                  OutputThumbnail() failed because !is_resource($this->gdimg_output) in file "phpthumb.class.php" on line 572
                  [2015-07-20 19:20:07] (ERROR @ /connectors/system/phpthumb.php) phpThumb was unable to generate a thumbnail for: /home/hobyorg/public_html/core/cache/phpthumb/www.hoby.org__src39495e9f17c8adf519559d8294df92be_par42f3219c4fbca5029031d8df1653193f_dat0.png

There are several forum posts related to this error, but none of the workarounds (i.e. playing with system settings, such as fixing the document root) seem to make any difference.

[sigh]