We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 8 Posts
    Folks

Not sure if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm stuck with trying to customize error messages generated by the login extra.

I want to modify the errors that are returned in the front end, e.g. if a user puts in the wrong password, and the following message comes back: 'The username or password you entered is incorrect. Please check the username, re-type the password, and try again.' I want to be able to rewrite that text.

I can't find relevant Lexicon entries or see any way to specify the text I want in snippet parameters, etc. (I actually did find a Lexicon entry under in the core namespace called "login_username_password_incorrect", but that doesn't seem to be have any effect on the Login extra.)

Is there a way to do this?

(Using Revo 2.3.2, Login 1.9.0)

Thanks.

• 24,544 Posts
      Look for the lexicon entries in the login namespace. Any changes you make in Lexicon Management will survive future upgrades to both MODX and Login, so it's better than editing the lexicon files.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 8 Posts
        Thank you Bob. Good to know that there is a difference between using the Lexicon Manager and altering the files directly.

After some experimentation I found that changing the entry core > login > login_username_password_incorrect has updated the message I wanted to change. What I missed the first time round was that this didn't have any effect until I cleared the cache.
          • 24,544 Posts
          Sorry I mislead you. The Manager login lexicon strings are (of course) where you found them. If you use the Login snippet, otoh, they should be in the login namespace.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting