We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 247 Posts
    Back in the days of Modx Evo I frequently used to open the whole resource tree to find something, view structure etc. Now I am using Revo 2.3.3 and I can't see a way to do this. Has this feature been dropped or am I just not seeing it?
    • It's not there. I think it's because Revo doesn't use frames, so the whole page, tree and all, is refreshed on certain events, and having a whole large tree open when the page is refreshed can cause a number of problems.
        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
      • Revo 2.2 did have the expand unexpand for the entire tree. It was decided to remove the actions for a variety of reasons. The intention was that the uberbar would be the best place to find Resources but I do hear you with regard to getting a sense of your tree structure. I am not sure if the functionality is still there and just hidden in the default theme. It could possibly be returned to the view with a little work.
          Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
          • 247 Posts
          Thanks for the info guys.

Jay, is the uberbar the search box in the top bar? My problem with that is it can't find a resource by ID. This ability would be very useful given that many resources (and other things) are referenced by their IDs throughout modx (snippet calls etc etc). I'm sure we could have a nice smart search which when given an integer, returned all resources, snippets, chunks etc with that number in their name/title, as well as all resources, snippets, chunks etc with IDs that match that number. The results could be grouped with the integer highlighted to make it obvious why that item was returned in the results.

(My old SPV 500 Windows phone had the best search function I've ever seen: start typing the keypad and it would return all contacts' phone numbers, dialled, received and missed calls as well as contact names matching the characters on the same keys. I'm sure a nice wee ajax search could do similar in modx. It would be VERY useful).

Going back to my question, there is possibly something in common with my other post here http://forums.modx.com/thread/97553/how-to-locate-a-resource-in-the-file-tree in which I'm asking about locating (in the tree) resources found in searches. This would be a good reason for the ability to open the tree at a particular place. So if there are any functions buried in the default theme that would allow us to do both of these things - open/close the whole tree and open the tree at a particular resource, that would be great!
            • 322 Posts
            I second the motion for restoring the global open/close feature. I don't use it so much for finding things, but when I have lots of folders open and want to close everything, there is no way to do it.

Actually, the whole way opening and closing folders works is very annoying. I'd like to see an option to completely stop the automatic opening and closing of folders. When I open a folder, I want it to stay open, even when I have another folder open, because sometimes I refer to pages in another folder (to get IDs is just one reason), unless I specifically close it. Now, if I make a change to the resource that is a folder and save it, that folder closes so that I can no longer see what's in that folder. If I go into a different folder, I never know what other folders will stay open or not, they keep getting closed automatically.
              • 247 Posts
              Aye, I agree with that rainbowtiger, and while I'm thinking about it, if the modx docs tree could be sorted too to stay open and positioned at the page that's open, that would make them much more useable smiley