We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 342 Posts
    So, I built a MODx website that the client loves. She's really happy with the results.

In the course of planning, she mentioned that she wanted to get away from sending email newsletters to her clients and we suggested adding a blog system to feature her writing. So far so good. In addition, her clients would get updates to her articles by way of RSS.

I added an RSS feed solution, along with a subscribe button. All works great...except for one thing.

...now I find that Chrome, which the client claims most of her clients use, doesn't have a built-in RSS reader, like IE and Firefox do. Google Reader has been deprecated by Google.

The thing is that she does not want to scare her clients away from subscribing by asking them to install any separate programs just to view her articles.

Are there any alternatives to get her articles to her clients instead of RSS?

She says her clients, for the most part, all use Outlook, which has a reader in it, but is there a way to create a RSS subscribe button that automatically targets the end-user's Outlook as the subscription application? As it stands now, the RSS solution offered in the MODx tutorials make the end-user's default browser come up first. Those with Chrome as the default browser see what looks like XML code, which might as well be an alien language. It looks broken.

Is there any kind of sniffer code one can add to the RSS code (see below) to detect if the user is using Chrome as the default, and if so, to then launch Outlook instead? I'm sure that's a stretch but it's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

I'm currently using the following code for the RSS page (content type set to RSS and no template selected):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <rss version="2.0" xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
    <channel>
        <title>[[*pagetitle]]</title>
        <link>[[~[[*id]]? &scheme=`full`]]</link>
        <description>[[+tv.article_summary:cdata]]</description>
        <language>[[++cultureKey]]</language>
        <ttl>120</ttl>
        <atom:link href="[[~[[*id]]? &scheme=`full`]]" rel="self" type="application/rss+xml" />
    [[getResources?
      &tpl=`rssItem`
      &parents=`11`
      &depth=`5`
      &limit=`500`
      &includeContent=`1`
      &includeTVs=`1`
      &showHidden=`1`
      &hideContainers=`1`
    ]]
    </channel>
    </rss>

Template (rssItem) as follows:

<item>
      <title>[[+pagetitle:htmlent]]</title>
      <link>[[++site_url]][[~[[+id]]]]</link>
      <description>
        [[+tv.article_summary:default=`[[+tv.article_summary=`600`]]`:cdata]]
      </description>
      <pubDate>[[+publishedon:strtotime:date=`%a, %d %b %Y %H:%M:%S -0600`]]</pubDate>
      <guid isPermaLink="false">[[++site_url]][[~[[+id]]]]</guid>
      <dc:creator>
          by (name of company here)
      </dc:creator>
    </item>

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

MODx Revo 2.3.3-pl

This question has been answered by paulp. See the first response.

[ed. note: waizen last edited this post 8 years, 10 months ago.]
      • 24,544 Posts
      I don't know a way to do that, though I know almost nothing about Outlook.

I use Notify with Subscribe at Bob's Guides to send updates to users about new blog posts. You essentially send a manual email for each new blog post. It's very convenient for me -- it takes just a few clicks to send a new notice, and you can let users select topics they want to be notified about.

It's not at all what you're looking for, but might work as a fallback if you can't find an Outlook solution.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • discuss.answer
        • 1,572 Posts
        Try adding a link using:
        <a href="outlookfeed://www.yourfeed.com">Add to Outlook</a>
          • 342 Posts
          Quote from: BobRay at Jun 19, 2015, 04:51 AM
          I don't know a way to do that, though I know almost nothing about Outlook.

I use Notify with Subscribe at Bob's Guides to send updates to users about new blog posts. You essentially send a manual email for each new blog post. It's very convenient for me -- it takes just a few clicks to send a new notice, and you can let users select topics they want to be notified about.

It's not at all what you're looking for, but might work as a fallback if you can't find an Outlook solution.

Thanks, Bob. I had originally come up with a similar solution (using Mail Chimp) but the boss nixed it. Would probably nix this as a solution, as well.

I appreciate you responding. [ed. note: waizen last edited this post 8 years, 10 months ago.]
            • 342 Posts
            Quote from: paulp at Jun 19, 2015, 08:49 AM
            Try adding a link using:
            <a href="outlookfeed://www.yourfeed.com">Add to Outlook</a>

Thanks, Paulp! This was/is the solution! Works perfect! I think you just got me a raise around here.
              • 1,572 Posts
              Glad it's worked smiley