We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    Hi All,

I am totally new to Modex.
    I had a super functional site with Etomite (never pretty because we are design challenged) so I have installed Evolution as the most compatible choice for importing my data.
    Looking around for Evolution templates, there doesn't seem to be the choice for Evolution that there is for Revolution; I am wondering how hard is it to adapt a revolution template to Evolution?
    What are the gotcha's that I should look out for?
    This might be a really dumb question and apologies if it is
    thanks in advance

This question has been answered by claytonk. See the first response.

• discuss.answer
      • 247 Posts
      Main differences will be tagging syntax and extra/plugin compatibilities. This should help: http://rtfm.modx.com/revolution/2.x/making-sites-with-modx/tag-syntax

Other than simple tag syntax you'll need to make sure you've created any custom template variables the new template may require (unlikely if it's a generic template, but possible) and you'll need to be sure you have a working Evolution version of any snippet the template may require, like Wayfinder for menus.

One big gotcha would be if your template incorporates any getResources calls, in which case you would have to rework that area to use the old Ditto snippet for Evolution.

Really depends on the complexity of the template, but it shouldn't be too difficult.
        • 24,544 Posts
        FYI, I've been working on a commercial extra to convert Evo sites to Revo. It handles all the tags and will move the templates and template variables for you (in addition to all users, resources, and chunks). It will even translate most Ditto calls to either getResources or pdoResources.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 3 Posts
          Quote from: claytonk at Jun 14, 2015, 03:37 AM

Really depends on the complexity of the template, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Great, thanks so much for your answer, makes me feel better..
          I am a bit concerned after having a read through some info, that Evo might not support Mysqli?
          It seems it didn't and it has been said, that it was being worked on, after that, I could not find the info whether this had been done.
          Does anyone know, if that part of development was completed?

thanks again
            • 953 Posts
            @ asgard2 - please take a look here for info about MYSQLI

@ Bobray - do you have an ETA for your extra ? I've been meaning to contact you anyway ref the first line in your comment here.
              • 24,544 Posts
              Quote from: iusemodx at Jun 14, 2015, 11:47 AM

@ Bobray - do you have an ETA for your extra ? I've been meaning to contact you anyway ref the first line in your comment here.

@iusemodx: See my PM to you.
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting