We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 572 Posts
    Hi,
    I've been reading a lot about people using Collections as an alternative to Articles. Personally I have never had an issue with Articles and in most cases it suits my purposes but I can see it's shortcomings.
    I have taken a look at Collections and am under the impression to get it hooked up as a blog I would also need additional extras such as getresources, tagger (or taglister?) and quip? and create my html chunks and any Tv's for each - anything else?
    If anyone could provide a quick overview or point me to a tutorial (if any around) I can probably take it from there.
    Thanks for any help
    J

www.9thwave.co.uk
         WEB | DESIGN | PRINT
      • 165 Posts
      Quote from: 9thwave at Mar 26, 2015, 08:17 AM
      Hi,
      I've been reading a lot about people using Collections as an alternative to Articles. Personally I have never had an issue with Articles and in most cases it suits my purposes but I can see it's shortcomings.
      I have taken a look at Collections and am under the impression to get it hooked up as a blog I would also need additional extras such as getresources, tagger (or taglister?) and quip? and create my html chunks and any Tv's for each - anything else?
      If anyone could provide a quick overview or point me to a tutorial (if any around) I can probably take it from there.
      Thanks for any help
      J

Collections is the way forward. I would suggest pdoTools instead of getResources though.

pdoPage/proResources to list and paginate

getRelated to help find and display 'related items' on blog posts/in sidebars

I don't often use tags but there's a TV type for auto tag I think that you could use, set a delimiter and find/filter/do nice things to find by tag maybe using pdoResources, or alternatively there's tagLister or Tagger as you mention in your post - but I've not used tagLister all that much, nor have i used Tagger at all so can't comment on usefulness!

I have suggested elsewhere that using Disqus as a plugin for the site is better than using Quip as people can have a global login to many sites and comment without having to register on your site - and also keeps the pain of moderating in a dedicated, proper tool.

You shouldn't need much else, unless you're going down the route of displaying lots of author information, avatars in post meta data or anything like that. Most stuff should be done through TVs though and shouldn't be that tough to set up.