We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Jay Gilmore Reply #1, 9 years ago
    There has been recent discussion about the form and function of the MODX Community forums. This has brought forth renewed interest in a native MODX forum solution.

The Discuss 2 project is open source and available for download and install here: https://github.com/modxcms/discuss2

There is currently no documentation as priorities shifted and work after several failed attempts at upgrading these forums. The new version of Discuss is far more efficient, stores it's pieces in a more MODX-like way, uses resources for views and has its own routing for friendly URLs etc.

It currently doesn't work in Revo 2.3 but should work in 2.2.x (though I'd like to see it be functional in 2.3 instead of 2.2.x since 2.4 will be out soon).

I'd love to see a bringing together of people who wish to see D2 become a reality and release it. I am not a developer, it will require a developer in order for it to be a success.

Feel free to share your thoughts and ideas.
      Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
      • 196 Posts
      Pleased to see that Discuss topic get some attention. Will take a look at it in my spare time.
        • 1,154 Posts
        I am not a developer, but I can definitely help with documentation and identifying bugs when the system can be installed.

Jay, if Petri could take a little time within the next couple *months* to jot down everything he can remember, it doesn't matter how disorganized it is, I can take that and produce a fairly complete set of docs, as I go through the system. Then, if there are still gaps, it might not be too hard for him to fill them in later.

This way hopefully it won't be too much effort on his side, while we can still grab all the important info about the system. I would be happy to help in any way I can.