We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7 Posts
    Has anyone had luck upgrading from 2.0.7 to say 2.3.x? Or what is the highest upgrade anyone knows which works. I am tying to get sites current without having to do a fresh install.

2.0.7 > 2.3.3 seems to cause 500 errors (Blank pages when viewing the site but manager works).

This question has been answered by lexmono. See the first response.

[ed. note: lexmono last edited this post 9 years, 1 month ago.]
      • 24,544 Posts
      If you still have the 2.3.2 version installed, try disabling all plugins by right-clicking on them in the tree. If that fixes things, re-enable them one at a time until things break. You could also try updating all snippets and plugins and manually deleting all files in the core/cache directory.

That's quite a big jump (your version was released in January of 2011). You might have to upgrade to some of the intermediate versions, but you should be able to go to 2.3.3 eventually. I'd try this sequence: 2.1.0, 2.2.0, 2.2.10, 2.2.16, 2.3.2 -- testing as you go. I'd also suggest disabling all plugins before you start, you may have a plugin that's incompatible with later versions. Turning off the compress_css and compress_js System Settings is also a good idea. Some users uninstall and remove extras, especially neglected or exotic ones, and reinstall them in Package Manager after MODX is current.

Many extras have been updated for later versions of MODX because of compatibility issues, but you won't see them in Package Manager until after you upgrade to later versions of MODX.

The intermediate versions of MODX are available here:
      http://modx.com/download/previous-releases/

If you run into trouble, try manually deleting all files in the core/cache directory and clearing your browser cache and cookies (or going incognito). Be sure all users are logged out when you upgrade.

Upgrading those sites is critical because the older versions have some serious security vulnerabilities.

In answer to your original question, lots of people have upgraded from 2.0 to 2.3, but most of them did it gradually. wink

[ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 9 years, 1 month ago.]
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 7 Posts
        Quote from: BobRay at Mar 12, 2015, 04:28 AM
        If you still have the 2.3.2 version installed, try disabling all plugins by right-clicking on them in the tree. If that fixes things, re-enable them one at a time until things break. You could also try updating all snippets and plugins and manually deleting all files in the core/cache directory.

That's quite a big jump (your version was released in January of 2011). You might have to upgrade to some of the intermediate versions, but you should be able to go to 2.3.3 eventually. I'd try this sequence: 2.1.0, 2.2.0, 2.2.10, 2.2.16, 2.3.2 -- testing as you go. I'd also suggest disabling all plugins before you start, you may have a plugin that's incompatible with later versions. Turning off the compress_css and compress_js System Settings is also a good idea. Some users uninstall and remove extras, especially neglected or exotic ones, and reinstall them in Package Manager after MODX is current.

Many extras have been updated for later versions of MODX because of compatibility issues, but you won't see them in Package Manager until after you upgrade to later versions of MODX.

The intermediate versions of MODX are available here:
        http://modx.com/download/previous-releases/

If you run into trouble, try manually deleting all files in the core/cache directory and clearing your browser cache and cookies (or going incognito). Be sure all users are logged out when you upgrade.

Upgrading those sites is critical because the older versions have some serious security vulnerabilities.

In answer to your original question, lots of people have upgraded from 2.0 to 2.3, but most of them did it gradually. wink

I tried this last night. Even when I went from 2.0.7 > 2.1.0 I get blank resources and am unable to view webpages (white pages).

The only error in the error log is as follows.
        [2015-03-11 22:09:49] (ERROR @ {Install Directory}/core/model/modx/modscript.class.php : 47) PHP warning: Creating default object from empty value

Going to revert back. Disable plugins and try again. I will update you when I have more.
          • 7 Posts
          Update:

Going from 2.0.7 > 2.0.8 worked flawlessly.

2.0.8 > 2.1.0 gives me the same white pages and error

[2015-03-12 09:30:13] (ERROR @ {Installation Directory}/core/model/modx/modscript.class.php : 47) PHP warning: Creating default object from empty value

I was unable to uninstall the plugins, they gave me an error message
          error uninstalling package with signature: [[+signature]] 
          so I manually diasbled those in the modx_transport_packages table.

Any suggestions?
          • discuss.answer
            • 7 Posts
            Okay, so I was able to go straight from 2.0.7 - 2.3.3. Turns out it was just a chunk which I had commented out in 2.0.7 that was fine but was causing the errors. Totally deleted the chunk rather than it just being commented, fixed all of my issues.
              • 24,544 Posts
              Congratulations. smiley I'm glad you got it sorted.

Can you tell us what was in the chunk that caused trouble?
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • 7 Posts
                Quote from: BobRay at Mar 13, 2015, 03:39 AM

Can you tell us what was in the chunk that caused trouble?

Just some inherited nonsense. It appears there was a snippet created for the site when it was developed. The Chunk called that snippet, I haven't taken the time to see what the snippet was, just deleted the call from the template.