We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 61 Posts
    I am developing a responsive site using Bootstrap 3. I would like to include the Discuss extra to offer a message board, but need it to be responsive as well. Does anyone know of any responsive themes for the Discuss message board extra, or am I going to have to start from scratch? Thanks for any input.
      • 1,154 Posts
      The default Discuss theme is responsive. The easiest way is to customize it rather than try to apply a completely new theme. It was developed using Sass, which means its a little hard to apply a completely different theme. But, if you are willing to dig into the code a bit, you can make the theme your own.

For instance, taking this page as an example, you can customize the sidebar fully, the colors, and even little stuff like the style of the thread title. However more significant changes may need advanced Sass capability.

Edit: It has been very hard to put Discuss *into* webpages, for some reason, so what I have done and you can consider is to make your own front page / standard template, and then modify the Discuss theme (there are a huge number of basically empty templates that give you access to different parts of the page) for the parts of your site where you want comments. Its hard to fully integrate Discuss in a bigger website. I have provided a tool in the Discuss section of this forum to grab Discuss posts and provide them on other pages in your site, to sort of paper over this weakness.

Finally, based on what you've said about your needs, I think you might want to look at Quip, or there are a couple other options. Those are not full-fledged forums, but they do provide a commenting function, and they should be much easier to implement, to be honest. [ed. note: nuan88 last edited this post 9 years, 1 month ago.]
        • 38 Posts
        Discuss is a nightmare and incomplete with really bad js implementation, SASS which probably should not have been used for a template for others to go on, etc etc. There's many, many broken elements correlating to function between the forum and db. etc etc

So if you had any serious consideration to use this live, you would have to a) make your own theme from scratch and b) and do a bunch of custom php-coding, painstaking, a large project. So in other words, Discuss is officially broken and has basically been abandoned.

There is a reason why the default theme is literally called "redo" - it needs to be done completely deleting and redoing the entire css (not sass), html, php, and js build.

So it's not just the theme but the module is largely broken. Unsuitable for a proper public site. [ed. note: giantcarrot last edited this post 8 years, 10 months ago.]
        • Vanilla has a very nice SSO plugin. All it takes is maybe 15 minutes to install the plugin, generate a couple of keys and fill out some URLs to the relevant MODX pages, then in MODX write a snippet for a VanillaSSO page from MODX, and it uses the MODX login. No need for Vanilla users at all.
            Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
            Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
            Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org