We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 6 Posts
    Hello,

I had installed Discuss onto a local modx install (apache). I then transferred to a nginx server, and for the most part have modx back to normal. Except for Discuss. No matter what, a 500 internal server error comes up when I visit the page.

No error comes up in the modx error log, nor the nginx error log. I've attempted with/without friendly urls & rewrite rules, completely uninstalled and reinstalled Discuss, and checked the permissions for the folders, flushed cache and sessions about a billion times. Nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there a place I've overlooked that could be causing the problem, or a way to debug it? Or, an alternative discussion board I can use that works with modx?

This question has been answered by an8hub. See the first response.

• 1,154 Posts
      Ok let's figure out what is going on here.

First of all, pls tell us what MODX version you are using. Evo/Revo and what version.

Second, did you follow the rewrite rules here: http://forums.modx.com/thread/89865/getting-started-htaccess-w-code

Pls tell us what is actually happening. When you try to open the discuss front page, you get an error, right? What are the details of the error? What is the link (www.website.com/forums?) and any other info.

One more thing, pls make sure the values in the system settings for Discuss are right, you have to specify the right resource numbers for a few aspects.

Go ahead and give us more info, it might not be quick but we probably can get you up and running with a little effort.
      • discuss.answer
        • 6 Posts
        Thanks for the reply. I managed to fix it, however. Figures it'd be right after I post about it...I wish I posted two days ago when I first encountered this issue, *sigh*

Turns out that the nginx php block, located on this page (link), was necessary for the Discuss addon.
        location ~ \.php$ {
                        try_files $uri =404;
                        fastcgi_split_path_info ^(.+\.php)(.*)$;
                        fastcgi_pass   127.0.0.1:9000;
                        fastcgi_index  index.php;
                        fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME  $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
                        include fastcgi_params;
                        fastcgi_ignore_client_abort on;
                        fastcgi_param  SERVER_NAME $http_host;
                }

The vhost file on my server already had a similar entry, so I removed it during the modx hardening process. Shame on me.
          • 1,154 Posts
          Ah great glad you are right now. Yes the answer always comes after the post haha.

And could you tell us what MODX you are running? Evo/Revo and what version pls? Especially if its the newest Revo version, as so far I think there are no confirmed successful installs of Discuss on the newest Revo.
            • 6 Posts
            The install was MODX Revolution 2.3.2-pl (traditional), it worked with both apache and nginx. Aside from this hiccup which was my own fault, I've had no problems installing and using it, following the documentation here.
              • 1,154 Posts
              Yes! Great news, thanks for that! You are the first confirmed case of a successful Discuss install on Revo 2.3.2! I am considering to upgrade, and now more confident knowing you were successful.
                • 9 Posts
                I second that. I had no problems installing discuss from within a fresh modx 2.3.2 setup as well. All forum functions work as expected so far.
                  • 1,154 Posts
                  Thanks for the feedback, its good to know.