We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 63 Posts
    My error log is filling up with these:

[2014-12-11 14:34:36] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [2014-12-11 14:34:42] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [2014-12-11 14:34:42] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [2014-12-11 14:34:43] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [2014-12-11 14:34:47] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [2014-12-11 14:34:59] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [2014-12-11 14:35:18] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [2014-12-11 14:35:33] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [2014-12-11 14:35:34] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [2014-12-11 14:35:48] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [2014-12-11 14:35:56] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [2014-12-11 14:36:14] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [2014-12-11 14:36:15] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [2014-12-11 14:36:19] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [2014-12-11 14:36:22] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Any ideas? MySQL seems to be fine. Revo 2.2.16-l traditional, hosted on a VPS I manage.
      • 63 Posts
      It looks like this is the same thing: http://bugs.modx.com/issues/277

Switching to the phpSession handler looks like it may have resolved the problem, but why would it occur in the first place?
      • Maybe the modx_sessions table crashed? That would be a good reason for it to not be able of loading sessions.
          Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
          • 63 Posts
          I repaired and optimized all tables, didn't make a difference.
            • 63 Posts
            So... my switch to the PHP session is not working. Discuss (which we use) does't seem to place nicely. So my options are a working main site or working Discuss :-(

These are still the errors we get when using the main MDOX session handler:

[2014-12-19 05:12:45] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: 08cb23f145835bb67bfd3fcb5ff98c95

Any takers?
            • Maybe it is that simple issue: your session folder is full and no file could be created in that folder. Often that folder is used globally for all php sessions and sometimes it uses the /tmp folder, so that problem could be temporary solved if one session garbage collector is working but it is running too rare.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/654310/cleanup-php-session-files

It is a good thing to use a separate session folder for each vhost. This could be set in the vhost config or in the vhost php.ini.
                • 375 Posts
                We have the same problem on every site we create with MODX Revo and hosting on our server. We are using separate session folders for each project. And the INFO message "There was an error retrieving or creating session id: ..." happens even if the session folder is empty.

I also saw the message popping up on many sites where I support our GoodNews add-on.

Most people don't know the problem exists on their environment as they down run their site in report mode 3 (INFO).

By the way - we couldn't find any impact in front- or back-end. All seems to work as expected. Only the log is full of these messages.
                  Freelancer @bitego http://www.bitego.com
                  ---
                  GoodNews - one of the most advanced and integrated Group Mailer premium add-ons for MODX Revolution!
                  More infos here: http://www.bitego.com/extras/goodnews/
                  • 63 Posts
                  /tmp has 1.7GB left, appears writable, etc.

The problem is that the site is *not* acting as expected. Either the profile pages (using the Login snippet) stop working correctly or if we switch to PHP sessions, Discuss stops working correctly.

Any ideas if Revo 2.3.x resolves?
                    • 63 Posts
                    Upgraded to 2.3, same issues.
                      • 20 Posts
                      Having the same issues on a 2.3.2 instance.

I truncated the sessions table and fixed it for now.. Not sure how long this fix will last.

Not using any plugins or snippets that call session methods. We used to use discuss but we removed it.

Any updates on this would be highly appreciate it. Thanks! [ed. note: oriolsabate last edited this post 9 years ago.]