We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 61 Posts
    Hey guys, it has been quite a while since I have built a modx site and this is my first on Revolution.

I'm trying to get wayfinder to install and I am not having any luck. I have also tried other add-ons with the same result. I have also tried to download the zip package directly, upload it and then install and get the same result.

The package downloads fine
    When I click install I see the changelog, readme and license. They are NOT blank.
    When I click continue I am just getting a blank console box.
    I have noticed if I drag my cursor inside the console there is hidden text that says "Console running..."
    Then it looks like there is an error on the page it is trying to load into that console.

syntax error:
    403 Forbidden

Access is forbidden to the requested page:

When I click continue console shows one of two JS errors "TypeError: this.mask.addClass is not a function modx.window.js:60
    OR TypeError: this.mask.el is undefined modx.window.js:100

Another item to note is when I first installed Revolution all of my pages besides the dashboard in the manager were blank. Based off a suggestion in the install troubleshooting guide I had to go into the database and set the compress js & css to 0. Not sure if that is related in anyway but thought it might be helpful.

Last oddity is that instead of a normal domain I am using a direct IP to access the site as this is new hosting and the domain is still pointing to the old hosting server. http://108.60.22.8/~jrjoseph/manager

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Steve

This question has been answered by formulax. See the first response.

• 110 Posts
      Someone smarter than me will probably have the answer, but my first thought was file/folder permission issues or not having proper server requirements or even MySQL user permissions.

Missing styles can, of course, be caused by confused domain names. You may have to edit hosts file or .htaccess if domain names are an issue.
        • 24,544 Posts
        This will sound goofy (because it is), but try reloading the Package Manager page in your browser before clicking on the "Install" button. Be sure to wait for it to load fully.

It could also be a mod_security issue with the server. You could ask the host to check the mod_security log at the time you had the error.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 61 Posts
          Ok, so a little more detail on my server settings. I host with dotEasy.

Modx says requirements are:
          safe_mode off
          register_globals off
          magic_quotes_gpc off

I have:
          safe_mode off
          register_globals on
          magic_quotes_gpc on

So how crucial are the register_globals and magic_quotes? I am on a shared server so they say I can't change the variables. They did however put in a request to see if they could be turned off. If not I would need to change to a dedicated hosting environment.

how do I check to see what mod_security is set to, and what should it be set to?

I apologize as I am more of a front-end/designer and do not have a lot of experience with server side stuff.

My sites in the past used Evolution and I never had any issues with DotEasy, I might just need to resort back to evolution to get this project wrapped up.

Thanks again!
          Steve
            • 61 Posts
            Full set of PHP info if it helps:
            http://108.60.22.8/~jrjoseph/info.php
              • 24,544 Posts
              Try this and see if mod_security is listed:

phpinfo(INFO_MODULES);

mod_security involves a long list of rules. Typically, only the server admin can see the log or modify them.

Having register_globals on can introduce serious security vulnerabilities. It's been off by default since PHP 4.2. I don't think this reflects well on your host, nor does the fact that they won't turn it off immediately on request.

Similarly, magic_guotes_gpc has been deprecated since PHP 5.3 and has been completely removed in PHP 5.4.

You might consider moving. wink

http://bobsguides.com/modx-friendly-hosts.html

My MODX Extras
                • 61 Posts
                Hmm, interesting. It is running PHP Version 5.4.30, not sure why they would say something that is not even there is enabled. I'll wait to see what they come back with, but do you think those could be causing my issue? I've tried reloading many times and get the same blank console with JS error every time.

Thanks,
                -Steve
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  I wouldn't think they would be the cause, but I guess it's possible.

Have you tried deleting all files in the core/cache directory and clearing your browser cache and cookies since you change the two "compress" System Settings?

Also, if this is a new install, it's possible that one or more files is missing or corrupted. This is fairly common if you use FTP to transfer the files individually.

My MODX Extras
                    • 61 Posts
                    Thanks for all the help Bob, I've tried all of your suggestions and nothing seems to work. I've deleted all files & DBs and tried a fresh install multiple times. I am uploading the single zip file via FTP and then using cPanel to extract it.

Everything seems to be working fine except installing add-ons, which for me are pretty necessary.

From here I don't really know what other options I have, I'm thinking I am just going to try and install Evolution to see if I have any better luck.

Thanks,
                    Steve
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      I've seen a fair number of posts here from people who couldn't install packages in the latest version of MODX. In almost every case, the problem was mod_security.
                        My MODX Extras