We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 38 Posts
    Discuss as we all know from the current packages available on both github and the modx depository are totally screwed up.

However, modx's actual official implementation of Discuss is apparently 100% working, just fine.

- PM/messaging. check.
    - Manager > settings + extras/admin. check.
    - working js/css on default theme. check.
    - rss. check.

WHY doesn't the MODX team just simply package their working current implementation for their users?

I have thoroughly test freshed installations today - all broken, largely, with a slew of major problems - and this just ain't right at all.

WHY? No excuse. Really.
    • What version of MODX Revolution are you trying to use? I know Discuss hasn't been tested/confirmed working with 2.3.x for example.
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
        • 1,154 Posts
        Look GC, are you trying to do something or just slagging off discuss for the fun of it? Because you don't seem to be interested in using discuss but rather in complaining about it. Let me go through your checklist:

- PM/messaging. check. (works fine in my default install)
        - Manager > settings + extras/admin. check. (I don't even understand what this means)
        - working js/css on default theme. check. (I told you how to fix this in another thread the other day. It requires changing one line and totally takes no more than 3 minutes to fix)
        - rss. check. (You win this one)

I have tried to document every error I found in my process, yes there are errors without a doubt, and some big ones too. So I am not saying that discuss is perfect.

If you are having a specific problem, bring it to us and the community will help you, without a doubt. But a post like this isn't helping anyone.

Again, I told you exactly how to fix something (the js problems) and now today you are complaining about it, still. 3 minutes to fix that, longer to write a post complaining about it.

So why did you do that?
          • 1,154 Posts
          By the way that 3 minutes to fix is 90% opening folders in the tree and 10% deleting about 5 characters from a file laugh
            • 38 Posts
            What version of MODX Revolution are you trying to use? I know Discuss hasn't been tested/confirmed working with 2.3.x for example.

Great point and helpful towards sorting Discuss out! Apparently, it is most likely not fully compatible. Although I will run some last final tests and final fresh install (that I'll be doing anyway) before reporting. No, I am actually using 2.3.1. I only went by what the component was listed as requiring under the modx depo "Requires Revolution 2.2.x or greater. Supports mysql." On this basis it either should have works or the modx admin or plugin author should have updated this, responsibly. Especially if there is a whole dedicated forum section with activity on it!

PS. My note of criticism towards the situation is intentional because I am really trying to help here.

a) I don't understand why we would expect such a notable and significant add-on (that also reflects greatly on modx) to be OK for users who have older unsecure versions of modx, without proper labelling on the depo or any modx official site section YET OK to not work for the version of modx everyone should have upgraded to by now, expecting things to work.

b) I naturally assumed that MODX itself (with working Discuss) would also be on the 2.3.x version. If not - that is pretty bad. Every release the official modx site should be upgraded itself on a local environment, thoroughly tested, then migrated to production and THEN the plugin released as a model at least to the community.

I would have expected the MODX site (including Discuss forum) to be on 2.3.x by now due to the critical security problems of the past versions.

BUT now I see from the dashboard on 2.3.1, the following list of compatible and incompatible, untested and tested addons:

https://github.com/modxcms/revolution/issues/11630#issue-37173621

After my final fresh install, I'll report on that github thread and here!

• 38 Posts
              @nuan88-
              FYI, I'm on 2.3.x (see my last reply on thread) - it seems that Discuss is probably not compatible either with not only js conflicts but other? As I mentioned and detailed throughout the day yesterday before editing or removing some posts - I installed Discuss on the latest 2.3.1 3-4x totally fresh, tediously clearing all files and database entries leftover by hand. Hours of work - apparently Discuss was not tested on 2.3.x. Well, I ended up doing it apparently.

Quote from: nuan88 at Oct 22, 2014, 08:12 AM
              By the way that 3 minutes to fix is 90% opening folders in the tree and 10% deleting about 5 characters from a file laugh

And 8 hours+ of working trying to correct simple theme mistakes. When you think of the masses of people out there who installed Discuss on the latest version and failed not good. I doubt that these people are going to create an account here and then cry and whine and post. I only do it because MODX is my favorite CMS and hands down choice for development, superior over all others. I am legitimately trying to help. Problem concerning the handling of Discuss imo: Failure of communication/labeling that the current package was not tested yet/compatible; poor design and javascript implementation; nightmarish db littering post-uninstallation!

If you are having a specific problem, bring it to us and the community will help you, without a doubt. But a post like this isn't helping anyone.

YES it is, for people who will have the same problem and search the forums and find helpful answers (the method of support for modx!) + I am bringing it to the community via the forums (the method of community on modx!). A forum is a forum. Regardless, My "documentation" and viewpoints should and will help. OR, like 5-6 years I could keep silent. Which do you prefer.

On a last note nuan88, I have taken my time and have given "free consultation advice" to help explicate and document problems found beyond asking for help and flying the coup. If you slam me or any other community member who complains, points out poor design, logic or functionality, then you would not be helping. Quick patching and ignoring is not a solution and apparently not even a short term fix when there are greater system/version compatability issues.

No harsh personal words intended at you are anyone else, beyond criticism (which is feedback and should be taken as helpful with a proactive attitude). Appreciate your help, I do!
                • 1,154 Posts
                Ok my bad I over-reacted. You are an energetic one! Let's try to get you squared away.