We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 353 Posts
    Haha...steady on! Just don't want to see Modx go down the Ellislab route and screw up a great product and community because of nickel and diming their customers who helped build the product and its popularity. Heck Ellislab are now rivals of their primary addon developer Pixel & Tonic over a cms called craft. Modx is a great community. I just fear the impact monetization will have on the product and community's integrity. Time will tell. That's what I think is all. I'll have a vegetable soup Bob smiley Seinfeld I believe! Happy thanksgiving guys.
    • MODX is not headed down the EllisLab route (don't get me started on their management/community relations). EE was never OS and never fully got the idea of OS despite CI being OS. Pixel and Tonic took what they learned making Matrix (or whatever it was called) and turned it into a new CMS with better design and a more modern underlying development base. MODX CMS will always encourage open source extras but we'd also like to see some developers making money in a variety of ways, not just by building sites but by focusing their energies on building fully formed solutions that fill a void where needed. For some tools, the value will just be so high, the price seems like a paltry sum for it. Others may feel like a ripoff because the same can be accomplished very inexpensively or better. That's up to the individual site builder.

Apologies if I jumped on you. We care deeply about the integrity of the community and ensuring the spirit of open source is one that shines in everything that surrounds MODX and is not just lip service, while professional developers can make more than just a sustenance living.
        Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
        • 589 Posts
        Quote from: smashingred at Nov 28, 2014, 02:29 PM
        We care deeply about the integrity of the community and ensuring the spirit of open source is one that shines in everything that surrounds MODX and is not just lip service, while professional developers can make more than just a sustenance living.

Yep, MODx attitude towards GPL (v2) is best I've seen around...

RE: community integration - how about opening much needed Evo 1.0.15 subforum, Jay? ;-)
        • Eoler, thanks for the reminder on the Evo 1.0.15 subforum; done. smiley
            Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub