We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7 Posts
    Modx evo 1.0.14 manager automatically logs me out every 10 minutes.. It seems that It doesn't matter what I've been doing (modifying document or snippet etc.). Never done that in earlier versions of Modx in that same server. How can I fix this?
    • Can you tell us more about your hosting environment? It sounds like a session problem.
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
        • 7 Posts
        I think I find solution:
        http://forums.modx.com/thread/?thread=4972&page=1

Set session.gc_maxlifetime -variable in config.inc.php
          • 486 Posts
          Hi joan27,

I have noticed this auto-logout issue since 1.0.10.

In 1.0.14 I have yet to experience the auto-logout personally (touch wood) but a number of my clients have reported that it still happens to them sometimes in 1.0.14.

I never knew the cause of it but thought it may depend on what else is happening in other tabs of the browser. Perhaps its a scrambled cookie or related to Evo's security settings?

Sometimes it happened to me in some sites, but not in other sites and the logouts drove me crazy.

Did the "session.gc_maxlifetime-variable in config.inc.php" mod above work for you?

This is not a solution to the actual problem, but usually gets my clients up and running in the manager again:

• Logout of the CMS
          • Totally clear your browser cache including cookies etc
          • Shut down the browser
          • Restart the browser with only the CMS open
          • Keep the CMS open for at least 15 minutes before confirming

It would be wonderful to find out what actually causes the auto logout.
            Web design Adelaide
            http://gocreate.com.au
            • 7 Posts
            Modx 1.0.14 still auto-logs in almost every server I have installed it.. Previous versions never done that.. Is it some session thing or something?
              • 486 Posts
              I don't enough about the programming side of things to know what is causing it - but I do know something needs to be done.

Are you able to take a screen cast (eg using screencast-o-matic or something like that) that you could record an auto-logout happening and attach to this thread and to the github stream? That might be handy for the development team to be able to see the auto-logouts happening - and it might prompt someone who knows more to find the cause and offer a solution.
                Web design Adelaide
                http://gocreate.com.au
                • 7 Posts
                For example, I login to manager and go to coffee for few minutes. When I come back I have to login again, so it automatically logs out even when I don't touch computer.. This never happened in modx version 1.0.6. I think it has to be some server setting or something..
                • I don't have those problems here. There is a session_keepalive xhr call visible in my browsers timeline around every 10 minutes.
                    • 11 Posts
                    When logging in, do you tick the "remember me?" checkbox? If not, the cookie is only valid for the current session. If the session times out (which happens *especially* when doing nothing!), you have to log in again. Moreover, check your IP when logging in and again after you were logged out unexpectedly. If the IP changed, this can cause such problems as well.
                    • Maybe it is a PHP version problem. MODX Evo should run on PHP 5.2-5.4.