We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 110 Posts
    Hi Bob,

Well, I downloaded SiteCheck, I figured it would help both of us and it's the least I could do in view of the input you have given here and with previous queries I have posted on here. However, having installed it and seen its files in the assets/compnents and core/compnents directories I can't seem to get it to run. I've read the instruction page for running it outside MODX with this address type:
    http://yoursite.com/assets/components/sitecheck/index.php

as suggested, but I just get the site's homepage coming up, the same problem I'm having with the manager. Is there something else I should be doing to run SiteCheck in this way?

Update: I ran SiteCheck on another site the same way just to check and it worked, I even managed to fix a lesser problem on it. Very nice smiley

Cheers - Mark
    [ed. note: zaphodx last edited this post 9 years, 8 months ago.]
      • 24,544 Posts
      Thanks for buying SiteCheck. smiley

I assume that your error_page System Setting is the ID of the home page. In that case, what you're experiencing only happens if the file you're trying to reach with the URL doesn't exist or isn't readable.

If you can reach other pages on the site, the .htaccess file is probably OK.

Unless you've either put the SiteCheck file in the wrong place or mis-typed the URL, that would suggest a permissions or ownership problem with that file. If the server us running suPHP or something similar, the usual settings are 755 for folders and 644 for files. You might ask your host to check the ownership for the file and advise you on the proper permissions.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 110 Posts
        Hi Bob,

Thanks for getting back on this.

The other site that I ran SiteCheck on is on the same server (it is a reseller account on which I have several sites, the rest of which are working fine) so I don't think it's a hosting related issue and I have put SiteCheck in the same place for this domain as the one that works.

I put a test html page in the assets/components/sitecheck directory which works (same with the manager directory), so permissions/access to the directory aren't an issue. The permissions on the index.php file are set to 644 but it seemingly can't be accessed. Puzzling to say the least.

UPDATE:
        I looked at the server error log and found the assets and components directories had 775 permissions which I have changed to 755 and now SiteCheck is working!

There are effectively two errors SitCheck is bringing up. The first is character set mismatches, DB is latin1, MODX is utf8. I've had this before but it has not stopped the manager working completely, is this the possible cause of this?

The second is:
        Could not load metadata map modx/mysql/modnamespace.map.inc.php for class modNameSpace from modx.mysql.modnamespace

I read your page about updating character sets btw.

Cheers - Mark

[ed. note: zaphodx last edited this post 9 years, 8 months ago.]
        • discuss.answer
          • 110 Posts
          Woohoo! It's fixed.

It seems there were a lot of wrong permissions in all sorts of places (no idea how that happened), once I changed them all everything worked.

A combination of SiteCheck and server error logs helped me sort it out.

A big thank you to Bob Ray, and if you haven't already got SiteCheck GET IT! It is worth every penny (cent) and will likely save your MODX bacon somewhere along the line smiley

Thanks again Bob smiley

• 24,544 Posts
            I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for the testimonial (and for buying SiteCheck). wink
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting