We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 288 Posts
    Hi,

I recently installed MODX 2.3.1 and everything seemed fine, however, although I managed to download TinyMCE in the package management when I try to install it the install just gets stuck on the Console Running screen. I've tried it with Internet Explorer and Firefox but it happens with both browsers. Refreshing or closing the install just returns it back to the downloads overview and it says that TinyMCE is not installed. As far as I can tell TinyMCE should work with this version. I did try installing the CKeditor and the same thing happened so I don't think it is just a problem with TinyMCE.

I checked the file permissions on the core/packages folder and changed them from 755 to 777 but that didn't have any effect and I checked to make sure cURL was enabled and it is.

I checked the bug tracker and I couldn't see any issues with installing packages such as TinyMCE so I guess it must be a setting somewhere. Any help would be appreciated as I really don't want to have to revert to an earlier version just because I can't install the packages.

This question has been answered by myfriendqp. See the first response.

• 24,544 Posts
      TinyMCE is very large, so it's possible that the download timed out and you didn't get the whole package. Another possibility is that the install is timing out if the server is overloaded and installing TinyMCE takes more than 30 seconds (it creates a bunch of System Settings, which can be very slow).

On some servers, there are mod_security issues with downloading packages, but if you can download and install other packages, that's probably not the problem.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 288 Posts
        Thanks for the reply Bob. I did raise the possibility of mod_security issues with the hosting company and they said that nothing had been flagged up for the domain. I tried removing TinyMCE and downloading it again but still no joy with the install. I can download packages fine I just can't install them. I guess I will have to go back to an earlier version of MODX.
          • 3 Posts
          Hi

I am facing the same problem. I waited for more than 10 minutes and still it is saying Downloading...

Is there a solution for this

• 7 Posts
            Hi there,

I have the same problem.

The installation all happened fine, no issues or errors.

I can download any of the packages without any issues too. But when i try installing any package the console stays stuck on "Console running..." with nothing happening, no error messages.

I saw in another forum something about the ht.access renamed to .htaccess solving the issue so i tried that too, cleared the cache manually, flushed the session and logged in again but no difference.

Has anyone encountered the same issue and managed to fix it?
              • 123 Posts
              Quote from: abdulcareem at Aug 21, 2014, 12:39 PM
              Hi

I am facing the same problem. I waited for more than 10 minutes and still it is saying Downloading...

I have the same problem but figured out a work-around that allows me to install extras: http://forums.modx.com/thread/92578/download-of-package-not-working?page=2#dis-post-508493
                • 7 Posts
                Quote from: redhen at Sep 10, 2014, 04:49 PM
                Quote from: abdulcareem at Aug 21, 2014, 12:39 PM
                Hi

I have the same problem but figured out a work-around that allows me to install extras: http://forums.modx.com/thread/92578/download-of-package-not-working?page=2#dis-post-508493

I know my issue isn't exactly the same but i tried your work-around anyway and it's not working for me i still get stuck on "Console running..." when i try to install.

After reading more of the forum threads i've asked the host to look into any mod_security issues and i am waiting for their response.
                • discuss.answer
                  • 7 Posts
                  I got the response from the host support and I was hitting a mod_security rule, they didn't precise which one but that's solved it.
                    • 45 Posts
                    Any more info on this? I am having the same problem (not being able to install any packages on a fresh install of modx) But have no idea where to look? Is mod_security a PHP rule? I cant find anything like that in the system settings in modx.
                      • 109 Posts
                      Quote from: cleanboy at Jul 06, 2015, 05:19 AM
                      I cant find anything like that in the system settings in modx.

mod_security is a module installed by the Web hosting provider; it's intended to provide a layer of security for the Web server. Sometimes, Web applications (including, but certainly not limited to MODX) have normal behavior that appears to mod_security as a security threat, and mod_security stops that particular activity.

To find out if that's your issue, you'll need to contact your hosting provider -- ask them if there are any mod_security log entries from around the time when you tried to install packages. If so, they can make adjustments to the mod_security rules.

While you're talking to them, it'd be good to ask them if cURL for PHP is installed for your hosting account. It's absence could also be a cause of packages not installing.