We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 338 Posts
    For those that have set up Discuss successfully, are your users receiving email notifications of new posts on threads?

ie for when "Email me new replies" is ticked.

It's not happening on my install.

The notifications for private messages works ok but not the notifications of new posts on threads.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Mike

This question has been answered by thingstodo. See the first response.

• 1,154 Posts
      Not working here. There is a setting in system settings of Discuss for this, but it defaults to on, on the second page of Discuss settings:

Enable Notifications - on by default

New Post Notification Email Chunk - set to non-existent chunk like disThreadchunk or something.

I just changed that to a valid chunk (reusing the registration email chunk for now) but it still doesn't seem to work.

Also I noticed a couple errors which look related, at least the timing of them matches.

[2014-08-07 23:04:42] (ERROR @ /index.php) disThread: Attempt to set NOT NULL field class_key to NULL
      [2014-08-07 23:42:36] (ERROR @ /index.php) disThread: Attempt to set NOT NULL field class_key to NULL

But no error after changing the chunk name to a existing chunk. I wonder if its related or not.
        • 1,154 Posts
        On the bright side the subscription is properly set.

EDIT: made bug report in github [ed. note: nuan88 last edited this post 9 years, 8 months ago.]
          • 338 Posts
          Ah, well spotted, I hadn't noticed the missing chunk.

I also corrected that and tried with an existing one but it still didn't work.

I agree I think the subscriptions are being recorded ok as the table discuss_user_notifications is well populated, I think it's just not sending the email for some reason.

I'm sure it should be fixable.

I just went to folder core/components/discuss
          and grepped
          grep -r notification * | less

And there's lots of results with significant looking code, but, frustratingly, I'm not going to be able to look at this 'till Sunday.......
            • 1,154 Posts
            Ok, let me know what I can do to help. I checked through core system settings and didn't see anything useful.

And its strange that the emails are sent for PMs. Seems like some minor thing is wrong perhaps.

I also went through the manifest to see if it was involved, but it appears not to be. I will have a look at the template files to see if anything pops up.

If and when we get the email to send, a secondary issue will be the code to get the proper link to the thread in the email. Not a tough thing to do but I don't know what value it will be.
            • discuss.answer
              • 338 Posts
              Solved smiley

It took more than four hours, but I've worked out a solution.

And it's a nice simple one too smiley

It turns out the problem was the email chunk, discuss wasn't finding it.

If you change discuss.notification_new_post_chunk to emails/disNotificationEmail in the system settings it will use the default chunk in: core/components/discuss/themes/default/chunks/emails

And notifications will then be sent out to anyone subscribed to that thread.

Great, that was the last piece in the jigsaw for me to start using discuss in a live environment.

Mike
                • 1,154 Posts
                Sweet! Great job!!

I did not realize the chunks in the templates were really chunks meaning MODX chunks rather than just being normal chunks of code. Will have to look at those again.
                  • 1,154 Posts
                  Wait I just realized this is still not quite right, or at least its different from this forum, as here if I reply to a thread I get a subscription to it and will be notifed of later comments, while on my forum it doesn't set automatically.

I will check this again, and will check settings. But it seems not to work, the email is totally different from the subscription, and the error in the chunk seemingly can't cause the lack of automatic subscriptions.
                    • 338 Posts
                    Don't quite follow... you need to click the Email me new replies checkbox to receive the notifications...
                      • 1,154 Posts
                      Hmm I thought subscriptions were automatic for every thread you post in, but perhaps I am wrong, I just cleared out my subscriptions and tested and didn't get a new subscription.

And it turns out, on this forum at least, the subscription management is more than a bit of a pain.

The checkbox to unsubscribe all doesn't seem to work, and when clicking on individual subscriptions in order to delete, it actually clicks on the thread link, so you have to move fast or you will end up at that thread instead of deleting any subscriptions.

I will make a bug report for this. The unsubscribe all problem is out of my league, but I bet the problem that checking the box is registered as a click can easily be fixed, in that grid structure the checkbox would presumably be placed within the link, could be quite easy to fix.