We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 32 Posts
    Hi,

just installed discuss in modx 2.3.1 and new categories do not appear in the dropdown list when trying to add a new board to it. Drag and drop also not works. Anyone else tried to get it run in 2.3.1?

Mike
      • 1,154 Posts
      yes there is a bug in making categories, it works but not perfectly.

For the categories appearing in the list, don't forget to use the refresh button, then you will be able to see them.

The bug is that drag and drop will end up with some crazy results. I had a situation where one category with two boards, and they were in different places.

basically my advice is plan out your boards in advance, and make the first category and then each board underneath it. Then the second category, and all boards, and so on. When I did this, one or two categories jumped out of place, but it didn't matter because they were just numbers at that point.

Actually to be honest later I found I was able to add boards more freely, and I found that when the bug happened, logging out and back in seemed to fix the problem, and it wouldn't come back very quickly.

However, i would say use the drag and drop at your own risk, it is buggy without a doubt.
        • 1,154 Posts
        I am sorry I didn't realize the newer version changed things, I am using 2.2 I believe.

Sounds like an area that already had trouble has gotten worse, could you file a bug report at github?

Here is the link: https://github.com/modxcms/Discuss/issues
          • 32 Posts
          Opened a ticket at github. Last commit from september 2013. I hope this extra is even developed anymore.

Mike

• 1,154 Posts
            Hi Mike, thanks for that.

What's the situation with you so far? Does this bug make it really hard to get started, or can you work around? As I said, I found some bugs in that aspect of the system as well, but was able to work around. For me, I could make boards, they just couldn't always go right where I wanted them to.

Can you make boards at all? If not, this would be a major issue. My advice would be to start fresh and never try drag and drop, ever, until you have a bunch of boards. Keep in mind you can always give them titles later, and make boards inactive so they won't be visible.

The development is like this: The next step will be Discuss 2. Its already apparently fairly well along in development, (check it out in github) but of course not so close to beta release. The team is not big so things can't move all that quickly.

So, yes its true that we can't expect much in the way of fixes in Discuss, but development does continue. I suspect that Discuss 2 is built using the framework of Discuss, (this is just my guess that they didn't want to re-invent the wheel), and so reporting and documenting these bugs is still valuable.

Of course this means migrating eventually, which will suck, but, well, welcome to software, with any software solution you have to consider its life cycle, development team, and what the future holds. Things get old...and if you are lucky a shiny new solution will appear on the horizon...
              • 32 Posts
              After a relogin the boards now appear in the dropdown. I tried it again and it seems you have to relaod the whole page to see a new category in the dropdown. I can live with that smiley

Thx,

Mike
              • I'm on 2.3.2 and suddenly categories stopped showing in the Category drop down for TVs/Chunks etc. Turned off compression. Deleted cache manually. Reloaded page. Nothing worked.

The only way I can put something in a new category I create is to right-click the category and select Quick Create to create a TV, Chunk, etc.

But in my case, I don't have Discuss installed.
                  • 1,154 Posts
                  rx2, you are talking about categories of chunks and tvs, is that right? From within the manager?

This thread is about making categories within Discuss, when you have discuss installed there is a new section in the manager called components.

So, I think whatever is going on with you isn't related to Discuss if you don't have it installed. And the problem you are having would seem to go into the Revo/Evo sections.