We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4 Posts
    Hi,

I recently attempted to create a windows desktop development server clone of my live site blackboxtest which is hosted at GoDaddy.
    The basic steps were.
    1. Installed modx 3.2.1 on my Win desktop
    2. Deleted contents of Live site Cache
    3. Imported the database from a mysql dump of the live database file.
    4. Ran /setup as upgrade
    5. Copied the manager and assets folders from live to dev.
    6. Deleted contents of Dev site Cache

The dev site looks fine except for an unknown separator character in the title "Black Box Test � Software Testers Guide To Black Box Testing"
    On live the separator is "•" and not "�"

I then went to have a look at the templates in MODX manager to figure out why the � character was being displayed and realised that 6 of the 7 templates belonging to the site were listed but had empty "Template code (HTML):" fields when viewed from the MODX manager.
    Since the site appeared to be using the templates as I expected, I decided to use phpmyadmin to look at the content data within site_templates table. All templates here contained the expected template code.

In MODX, I added some text to one of the empty template content fields and saw that the new text had overwritten the original value in the database.

Using PHPMyAdmin, I modified some text directly in content field of a template row and saw that the text was visible in MODX manager.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this issue?

Herb

MODX v2.3.1
    WAMP 2.4
    - Apache v2.2.4
    - PHP v5.4.16
    - MySQL v5.6.12
    Win7
    • What is the charset/collation on your new machine's MySQL? What was it in the original?
        Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
        • 4 Posts
        Quote from: smashingred at Jul 28, 2014, 01:04 PM
        What is the charset/collation on your new machine's MySQL? What was it in the original?

Charset given for the databases...

Original - Server version: 5.0.96-log
        MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
        MySQL connection collation: "utf8_unicode_ci"

New - Server version: 5.6.12-log - MySQL Community Server (GPL)
        Server charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
        Server connection collation: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

Collation for all tables in both DBs is "utf8_general_ci"

...I used PHPMyAdmin to later change the Server connection collation on the new server to utf8_unicode_ci. The content of templates still appears empty in MODX manager. [ed. note: willpowr last edited this post 9 years, 9 months ago.]
          • 4 Posts
          Any ideas from the MODx community as to why template content data which can be seen in the database via SQL / phpmyadmin cannot be seen on the MODx manager?
            • 24,544 Posts
            Do you have the compress_js and compress_css System Settings turned off?

Did you run Setup locally after moving everything?

Have you tried logging out, deleting all files in the core/cache directory and clearing your browser cache *and cookies*?

Does the content of Resources and other element show up in the Manager?

If none of that helps, it might be a missing or corrupted file in the install. This is fairly common if you transfer the files individually with FTP.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 4 Posts
              Thanks Jay and BobRay for your input so far...

Regarding BobRay's suggestions, I've written my responses in-line...

Quote from: BobRay at Jul 30, 2014, 06:31 PM
              Do you have the compress_js and compress_css System Settings turned off?
              HW : Yes

Did you run Setup locally after moving everything?

Have you tried logging out, deleting all files in the core/cache directory and clearing your browser cache *and cookies*?

Does the content of Resources and other element show up in the Manager?

If none of that helps, it might be a missing or corrupted file in the install. This is fairly common if you transfer the files individually with FTP.
              HW : My steps...
              1. Did a fresh MODX install on my Win7 dev box;
              2. Emptied live caches and imported the live Linux DB to the Win7 dev box;
              3. Ran setup/upgrade on the dev box;
              4. Tar/Gzipped the files on live and unzipped /manager and /assets on dev
              5. Logged out all users and emptied caches
                • 24,544 Posts
                Is there anything in the MODX error log?

You might try turning on Chrome Dev. Tools (Ctrl-Shift-I) and watching the network tab when you load a template. You can drill down to see the processor responses and there might be a clue there. Watch also for any JS errors.

It's a long shot, but it could possibly be mod_security not liking something in your templates, though usually it only rears its ugly head when you save one.

Another desperate thing to try is exporting the DB to SQL and looking at the charset and collations in the .sql file, and the the template content fields -- possibly in a hex editor -- to see if there's anything different about them.
                  Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                  Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  My MODX Extras
                  Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting