We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • @jisaac - Thank you for the recommendation.

@ridgedale - Rainbowtiger is correct, those review sites are advertising focused in most cases. If they feature the "bigger" names in hosting, they are more likely to appear in search results, and if you buy through their links they get a commission. It's a great system for them as the bigger hosting providers have larger marketing budgets and staff to spread their name, so less work is required on their behalf.

This doesn't mean the information is inaccurate or bias, simply that smaller more targeted providers may be ignored as not worth the time. In the instances where smaller providers appear it's typically because that provider made an effort to get their name listed.

@salscode and myself started out using MODX before founding SkyToaster, so it's been in our blood since before day one. Yes, it powers our personal and company websites. It's part of why we bend over backwards to support it. You aren't going to find us listed on most of the review sites, but if you give us a try I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

@Anyone - If you would like to try our services let me know, and I can provide you a test account. We would love to hear your feedback (good or bad) in exchange, but that's entirely optional.
      Patrick | Server Wrangler
      About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
      • 28 Posts
      @Rainbowtiger: Thanks for your feedback that is much appreciated. smiley
      I am aware of the cheap and cheerful providers as I use Powweb myself, albeit only for hosting static page based websites - I manually update most of them. However, unless they are able to fix the perfomance of MODX I will have to consider moving to a new provider.

From what you say though server location can be a big contributory factor in the performance of a website and the fact is a database driven website is going to generate a significant amount of traffic as I understand it.

The issue in that respect is that I am based in the UK as is my customer base. All the service providers listed in http://bobsguides.com/modx-friendly-hosts.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">BobRay's host providers list are US based from what I can tell. sad

@AMDbuilder: Given Rainbowtiger's feedback our thoughts on providing hosting for a UK based customer would be appreciated.ice providers
      • The server location will affect load time, for example our Seattle location has a ~110ms delay for me. This is in addition to the time required for the server to handle my request (interact with php/mysql etc).

The distance does affect site performance, but 120ms is less than 1 second, so it's not that big of a hit alone. What will affect load time more is an overloaded server, which can be common with larger providers. A shared server with 1200 sites is better than one with 600 sites when it comes to profit. The performance suffers as a result, and if the turnover (people canceling) remains normal they are unlikely to care.

If you aren't happy with your host, and they aren't working to fix things - switch. Your business is important take it where the host recognizes that and tried to help you.

In regards to locations we (SkyToaster) do offer hosting in the UK and NL, despite being based in the US. If your familiar with modmore your familiar with our hosting smiley
          • 28 Posts
          Thanks for the helpful feedback, AMDbuilder.

I don't know what time zone you are in. So when would be the best time to contact you to discuss my hosting requirements? I need to sit down over the weekend and review where I am with my hosting currently and where I to need to be in 2 or so months's time.
          • If you would like to speak with me specifically, I am located on the US East coast and generally recommend calling after 2PM (EST). That being said someone is almost always available and can help answer your questions.