We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    First of all I am going to rant. You may safely ignore the following paragraph:

START OF RANT I DID NOT want to have to come in here to create an account to get help. Googling was useless, as was searching this forums. And I am sick and tired of having to jump through a million hoops just to get a CMS up and running! I did my research, MODx Revo (latest version 2.3) was highly rated, and I saw that it didn't come with extra stuff - I could add it as needed. I thought FINALLY, I can just install this thing, and if everything installs correctly, I will have an awesome CMS to use. Nope, here I am again, 3 hours into this, having to sign up at yet another forums, just to get help for something. I can't win. Either I am hand-held, restricted or smothered by something like Wix, or I am expected to be some techno-genius with all the answers. No middle-ground. I just wanted a simple, easy to use site, that I could configure as I wanted, when I wanted, where I could share loseless recordings, blog posts and a few other things. Just something as simple as it used to be typing out an HTML page about a decade ago. I have not yet found anything simple yet powerful and unrestricted. Simple always, without fail, translates into limited or restricted. I am just tired of the whole thing. I am this close to quitting. I will try this last thing, this post, and when I wake up tomorrow and read the replies I received, if any, I will make my final decision. END OF RANT

First of all I am using UHostFull free webhosting. Please do not give me any guff about free webhosting! After I figured out that I needed lowercase letters for my MySQL database stuff MODx installed perfectly, passing all tests, everything in the green. I was able to login, and on doing so I checked out the menus, and chose to create a new Resource - a page. Immediately I was depressed to see a Code 200 popup box. I Googled that, searched these forums, nothing relevant to my latest install of MODx.

I closed the error box and finished filling in the details, and I got an eternal save box. It popped up, the progress bar went to the end, ad infinitum. I got tired of that after several minutes so I hit refresh. I was confronted with the login screen again. When I first logged in I had checked the Remember Me checkbox, so I knew that was weird. But I logged in anyway, rechecked the box, and logged in again. I get the main page for the admin, but clicking on adding a resource or much of anything else brings me back to the login.

If you did not read my rant (that is OK, I did say you could skip it) you should be aware that I am out of patience. I am looking for an easy and quick solution. Be warned, do pull a Dilbert on me and tell me the equivalent of trying a reboot! None of this cache cleaning crap, or checking the folder permissions, or unpacking the zip through my cPanel. I used FileZilla, and after I had extracted the files I uploaded them to my FTP directory. Everything is there, or else things would not have installed, as you should well know. Permissions are as checked, 644 or something for files and 755 for folders.

I didn't forget a password, I didn't miss a file uploading things, I set up the database correctly (I have been messing around with crap like this for two decades, in case you were wondering why I have run out of patience.) To the best of my knowledge everything was done perfectly. The issue is either 1. Something to do with my host. If this is the case I need solutions and workarounds. Or 2. Some sort of bug in MODx. I hope the behavior is enough to give you an idea of what the issue is and how to resolve it.

Thank you for your time, and I appreciate your help.

• If you want a quick and easy solution on free hosting, MODX is not your solution. It's like trying to take off in a Boeing 787 on a dirt farm track. That doesn't work out too well. Sorry if you don't want to hear that, but that's the way it is.

Try Evolution. It should run fine, and while it doesn't have the power of Revolution it should do whatever you want nicely. More like a nice, friendly Piper Cub you can land and take off with anywhere wink
        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
        • 3 Posts
        As I said, MODx Revo installed perfectly. If my "dirt track" webhost could not run it, then it would not have installed without errors, correct? You are, essentially, blaming the hosting (or me) and assuming MODx is perfect. That may not be the case.

To figure that out, I need to know what these errors signify. I need to track down the issue and see for myself. I am leaning towards it being my hosting too. But I need to know for sure. The only clue I found is that this login screen loop could be a PDO issue.

So let's do this, shall we? You tell me what, in MODx Revo 2.3+ (whatever the newest version is) could cause my symptoms, how to test these to determine the issue, and then we'll go from there.

Also if you can give me a comprehensive list of the differences between MODx Revo and MODx Evo I will look over that and see if indeed I prefer the "piper" to the "Boeing." I couldn't even find much information on that when I looked for it! You should have a version comparison sheet somewhere.

In the meantime I will see what other planes my webhost has parked in the hangar for me to use, I will research PDO, and I will look around for other "modular" CMS options. Maybe you are partially right and MODx Revo is not for me. Sad, because I did like what I saw, for what little I saw of it.

On a sidenote, if anyone, anywhere around, has a list of free hosting with PDO, whatever the heck that is, enabled, I would love a link! I will, of course, Google this.
          • 3 Posts
          UPDATE:

Nevermind. I am scrapping this CMS. They have Concrete5 there ready to install. I guess a Lear Jet is better than a Piper.

ADMINS:
          I don't see a delete option in my account, so I have added a delete request to my bio, and am also placing it here. Please delete my account, I will not be back.
            • 24,544 Posts
            I used FileZilla, and after I had extracted the files I uploaded them to my FTP directory. Everything is there, or else things would not have installed, as you should well know.

You may not be back, but for others who read your rant -- I suspect that this is your error (unless Susan is correct that it's your server). Transferring the files individually after unpacking them quite often results in missing or corrupted files. MODX has literally thousands of files and the odds of them all making it intact when using FTP to transfer them individually is not that great. A single .zip file should be uploaded and the files should be extracted on the server.

Your second sentence above is quite wrong. During the install, MODX checks the DB connection and checks for the existence of the major directories and a few critical files, but it does not make use of most of the MODX objects that are manipulated in the Manager. It does not, for example, create or save any resources, chunks, plugins, template variables, or snippets. So if any of the code in the create or update processors is bad or missing, things will go south on you later even though the install went perfectly.

I suspect that the reason we couldn't give you a quick answer is that none of us have ever seen your particular symptom before, which is typical when a file is missing or corrupted.

I'm sorry you bailed. I think you might have liked MODX a lot.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 180 Posts
              The code 200 error is a bug. It appears on servers that prepends a php file to every request. It basically kills every ajax request. There is a fix for it that will hopefully be in the next release.
                • 24,544 Posts
                Unlucky timing on the OP's part. wink

It's also triggered by snippets and plugins without a return statement. It's still good form to avoid that.
                  Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                  Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  My MODX Extras
                  Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting