We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 697 Posts
    Hi there,

Just upgraded locally. Wondering why the manager is so slow?
    Something is obviously not working correctly, its taking 10 - 20 seconds to load each page in the CMS.
    I have disabled the feeds, thought it might be that, but its still really slow.
    I have no errors in the log?

Anyone any other ideas?

Cheers,

J
    • Is this on MODX Cloud on AMS2, localhost or another server? There is an issue of Gravatar timing out on Cloud, especially on AMS2.
        Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
      • One other question, does your server have access to the internet? If not the calls to RSS Feeds, Package Management and Gravatar will all block and time out.
          Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
          • 697 Posts
          Hi Jay,

Thanks for the reply.
          It is localhost, but we are behind a proxy server that blocks all connections unless whitelisted, so its potentially these.
          I have turned off the security feed and the RSS feed, is it possible to do the same with the Gravatar etc?

Cheers,

J

• I believe there is an issue to resolve this for 2.3.1 due next week, but at this time, I am not aware of any way to turn this off. I am also uncertain if turning off the RSS feed actually works (I don't know). In addition, Package Management will not work and possibly hang.
              • 697 Posts
              The joys of proxy servers!
              It might be an idea to make these services part of the installer, as what can happen is that the installer finishes and the user thinks all is well, only for the manager to hang/not work at all.

I guess I can see why someone would assume an installation will be able to fetch a Gravatar and RSS feed, but this is not always the case smiley
              I'll keep an eye out for the update...
                • 697 Posts
                Yeah its the Gravatar.
                I returned '<i class="icon-user icon-large"></i>' from the function: getUserImage in the header.php controller.
                Problem solved, its MUCH faster now smiley

I'll wait for the proper solution.
                Many thanks!
                • It's not just at the install process, MODX is a web application and some of the function (wrongly or rightly) assumes an internet connection. It needs to be that these services requiring connection to external services should have fallbacks and not impede function.