We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,154 Posts
    Finally, after a lot of efforts, I have opened my Discuss forum! I am pretty excited about it, although the process had some issues, really it went fairly well. Most of the effort was just getting things exactly how I wanted it.

Here is the link: https://www.rayxilawforums.com/forums/

Still a lot of little issues, of course, some style stuff and other annoying stuff, like redirect after logout. And my inside page style is less than perfect, for sure.

But, these are largely minor issues, and can be dealt with on another day. For now, I plan to have a rest after all this work!
      • 2,877 Posts
      Nice work!! smiley
        @hawproductions | http://mrhaw.com/

Infograph: MODX Advanced Install in 7 steps:
        http://forums.modx.com/thread/96954/infograph-modx-advanced-install-in-7-steps

Recap: Portland, OR (PDX) MODX CMS Meetup, Oct 6, 2015. US Bancorp Tower
        http://mrhaw.com/modx_portland_oregon_pdx_modx_cms_meetup_oct_2015_us_bancorp_tower
        • 1,154 Posts
        Thanks! God, if I added up all the hours...I think I would scare myself.

Based on some of my earlier posts, it took about 3.5 months from start to open.
          • 66 Posts
          Looks great Andrew, nice work and I actually know how much it took wink. Still working on mine and have similar issues, but will get there eventually.
            • 1,154 Posts
            Yeah we gotta figure out what is going wrong with yours. It doesn't make much sense, to be honest, unless its errors in the html
              • 338 Posts
              Well done. smiley

After a two month break, I'm returning to have another go at Discuss.

Started well, (after an initial hiccup) managed to get it working out of the box on MODX Cloud and on a regular cpanel host.

Good to see your's working and completely re-styled. Shows it can be done with a bit of effort smiley

Mike [ed. note: thingstodo last edited this post 9 years, 8 months ago.]
                • 66 Posts
                How did you manage with the sass? I am trying to get the colors to my style, but somehow it does not seem to work....?!
                  • 1,154 Posts
                  For me, first thing I did was get the sass system on my local computer, because I didn't know how to use it from within the install. That's a little imperfect but not a big deal, just make the css file and upload it.

The basic colors can be edited in the forum styles.sass file, sorry I can't check the file names right now, don't have access to them. Its all in one post I made a couple months ago, I tried to detail it as much as possible.

Basically you can change the dark green, which has a lot of stuff all tied together, and also change the highlight color and a couple other things. Start there to make sure you can see the changes you made

Unfortunately there are a couple places where the color is hard-coded, but, its not too hard to go through the files to find where colors are specified.

The masthead file is all of the header, and you can see the color they reference to know what is happening where.

Then the grid view is basically in the forum_.sass file, that's where I disconnected the color of each category from everything else, and adjusted the color under this (where it says title or name). I especially didn't like the grey color of those words, and made them lighter I believe.

What I did was create two new colors in the sass and then applied them to the sections I wanted. I didn't want to make it too tough so I figured out how to split off a few parts from that main color ($c-dark-bg I think), and left the little things connected.

It isn't all that tough to be honest, I probably only edited about 5-6 files max. Again you can see where they use what color and then just change it, it might have something like (lighten 10% $c-dark-bg) or whatever the code looks like, and I just made a value for my main blue color and changed it to (lighten 10% $main-blue)

Let me know if you have specific questions, I may be able to help.