We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 44 Posts
    I've got a site that uses PHx for some translations and this is the error I am getting. My entire site is down and this is all I see.

MODX: Evo 1.0.4
    PHP: 5.4.28
    MySQL: 5.5.35-MariaDB-log

« MODx Parse Error »

MODx encountered the following error while attempting to parse the requested resource:
    « PHP Parse Error »

PHP error debug
      Error:	Illegal string offset 'format'	 
      Error type/ Nr.:	Warning - 2	 
      File:	/webroot/.../www/assets/plugins/phx/phx.parser.class.inc.php(314) : eval()'d code	 
      Line:	12	 

Parser timing
      MySQL:	0.0126 s	(4 Requests)
      PHP:	0.1729 s	 
      Total:	0.1855 s	 

I've clearing the MODX cache plus my local cache but I still get the error. I also cleared the errors in the Manager but to make sure there are no others and this is the only one I see.

In config.in.php I turned off error reporting to see if that would at least let me see the site but to no avail.

//error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);
    error_reporting(0);

Any idea why this is happening? It was working before, this just started today (6/5/14).

Thanks!
      Eric Wargo
    • The problem is simply lack of support - MODX Evolution 1.0.8 and prior don't support PHP 5.4.x which is causing your problem. You should upgrade to MODX Evolution 1.0.14, which includes fixes for several MAJOR security problems.

If you aren't sure how to upgrade MODX you can have hire someone to perform the upgrade for you.
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
        • 44 Posts
        Quote from: AMDbuilder at Jun 09, 2014, 06:56 AM
        The problem is simply lack of support - MODX Evolution 1.0.8 and prior don't support PHP 5.4.x which is causing your problem...

Thanks for your input. After pulling my hair out it occurred to me that it might be a PHP issue. I was able to drop to PHP 5.3 and that solved most issues. The old server had PHP 5.2 running and 5.3 is the earliest version I could degrade to. Will work on updating the site but wanted to get things running first.
          Eric Wargo
        • I'm glad to hear you figured out the problem. I would strongly recommend upgrading to PHP 5.4.x and Evolution 1.0.14 sooner than later. The PHP upgrade will give you better performance and the MODX upgrade will restore functionality. Additionally, it will protect your site against some ACTIVELY exploited attack vectors.
            Patrick | Server Wrangler
            About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting