We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 65 Posts
    Hi all, I tried searching theses forums for this answer, but the search results here are not very useful.

Is it possible to include the content of a TV (or all TVs) in my search results? I have a sidebar_tv setup with specific content for each resource and I'd like to include that in my SimpleSearch results. As of now, it's only returning results based on the [[*content]] field and other base fields; pagetitle, longtitle, etc.

Thanks!
      • 58 Posts
      I've never used SimpleSearch, but it looks like theres an includeTVs and processTVs parameter?

The docs say it might slow down your code..
        • 65 Posts
        I believe that is for template design/layout, as including those parameters did not change my search results. Thank you though.
          • 58 Posts
          Oh yeah.. that's right.

so I just had another look, and I really think the short answer is "no".

The long answer:

You can extend simple search to look at custom tables I've never used simple search, but I don't think that searching the modx_site_tmplvar_contentvalues table will help, because I assume that you're template variables actually contain a reference to a chunk? (I'm guessing) rather than the content itself.

Sure you could maybe hack something together using simpleSearch and some custom snippets, but I think it would be a lot of work for a result which is absurdly inefficient.

I might be able to think of a workaround, but I need more.. is the raw sidebar content actually in the template variable? or do you put a chunk call in the template variable? are you ok with making a custom snippet (not necessarily guru status.. just a few lines of php) or does it have to use existing chunks and plugins?

• 5,888 Posts
            you can use custom-search-drivers within simpleSearch
            here's an example:

http://forums.modx.com/thread/87899/simplesearch-searching-tv-content
              -------------------------------

you can buy me a beer, if you like MIGX

http://webcmsolutions.de/migx.html

Thanks!
              • 65 Posts
              Thanks for the responses.

@Mr5o1: The TV is a richtext box, so the content does live within the TV.

@Bruno17: I want to be the OP of the thread you sent. I don't need custom filtering, I just want SimpleSearch to include ALL my TVs in it's search/results.

The website this is all for is a local "Town Festival Day" and the Location of each event is in the sidebar TV. I'd like people to be able to search "Fire House" and get the events that take place there, but right now nothing comes up because SS isn't looking in that sidebar TV.