We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,154 Posts
    Wow I don't know what is going on here, I want 3 categories and then three boards in each, instead I get category one and one board, then category 2 and one board, then category 1 again and another board...I can't see any difference between the boards, I thought it was because some of the boards were ignorable, but now none of them are.

Why do I have the same category repeated several times?

This question has been answered by nuan88. See the first response.

• 1,154 Posts
      I just checked it, when I move a board (drag and drop) it screws up everything. I made one, no problem, then two and three, but when I re-arranged boards within a category it made a hash of the category view.

Is this a bug? Is there any way to avoid this? I am afraid that once things are running the categories will get screwed up and I don't have a fix.

I have found that this can happen very easily, not just drag and drop. I made a second category and added things, no problem, but after I made a third category and added a couple of boards, then I remembered I needed another board in the second category, and now that board appears as the second instance of the second category, under the third. [ed. note: nuan88 last edited this post 9 years, 11 months ago.]
      • discuss.answer
        • 1,154 Posts
        Ok I experimented, it seems that the problems are somewhat limited. The workaround is to make all categories and all boards at one go, keeping as many extra boards inactive as potentially necessary.

Once a new category is created, it becomes all but impossible to make a new board go into a previous category, as a regular board (it can be put as a subboard, however). I wanted to put a new board in the second of three categories, and found I could get it to go in the third category, but not into the second except as a sub-board.

So, I experimented by making 3 categories with 5 boards each, creating all of the boards for each category before making the next category. If I want to make some of them sub-boards, then I can drag and drop within the category, that worked fine. Hopefully that type of drag and drop will be ok later so I have some ability to adjust things.

When I made them, it mixed up the order, so it goes 1-3-2. And, by now in the manager view it has switched to 3-1-2, but still 1-3-2 in the forums. I really hope that doesn't change later.

Anyway, this is a way to work around this problem. I plan to have 4 cats of about 5 boards each, so I will make maybe 8 cats, 4 inactive and so hidden, and put about 10 boards in each cat, again half of which will be inactive, for now.

Also experimenting with the boards limited to certain users. So far it works, but on some computers I can see that board, and on others it isn't visible.