We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 68 Posts
    I've got a user that regardless of what permissions I set him his Discuss Profile page it always show his name as admin, and the admins avatar, I've tried:
    - Sudo User
    - Administrator - Super User
    - All other groups - Super User (Forum Moderators, Forums Members etc)

The edit under Forum Profile button is missing and Subscriptions, Ignore Preferences, Merge Account are all missing too.

I've matched everything to my account which works, deleted the cache manually, removed session info from the database, flushed all sessions / permissions, tried different devices, computer and browsers and its always the same. I cannot think of anything else that would be causing this problem.

I've even tried making a new account and that messed up too.

Any ideas?
      • 24,544 Posts
      IIRC, Discuss has its own user table and adds users to it when they first log in. Once set, the values probably won't change no matter what you do. You could edit the data directly in the Discuss users table (modx_discuss_users) with PhpMyAdmin.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 68 Posts
        Thanks Bob,

I spent a while playing today and found that info in the Components > Discuss > Users tab, although most of it's the same they are indeed completely separately stored. I deleted all the users/old forum info and re-installed Discuss, added some custom fields to Login.UpdateProfile and it all seems to be working now!

Discuss still has some weird and wonderful bugs which I've worked around/edited out, see how it goes when people start using it!
          • 1,154 Posts
          You've got it looking pretty fabulous already, love your front page~! What bugs did you come across?
            • 68 Posts
            Heh thanks, just a bit of css hacking! The most annoying one I've come across is the board/categories. If you set up some categories and then add boards it fine, but if you move a board it created duplicate categories and puts different boards in them. It also just randomly makes other ones disappear. I got around this by basically never moving them, adding is fine and if you want to move the order just change the names (although when they have posts in them that might be difficult).
              • 1,154 Posts
              Ok cool thanks for the info. Hey one thing you may not have noticed is they are working on Discuss2 already. Seems that its not very different, its not a totally new system but does has some significant changes (that's my understanding).

You can find it on github, a bunch of people are waiting for it to be formally released. I don't know if it can be installed, I am a little nervous about what I might screw up if I do haha. But I might try it, now that the server has been wiped clean.

One final note, thanks for your help to install the package, and it turns out you can upload whatever packages you want to the server via the package manager, pretty cool. Just FYI.