We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 5 Posts
    Hello everyone, I have a big question relating to the set up of a modx website. There have been numerous different posts for some of the questions I have, and I have read them, but I felt it would be in my best interest if I asked about my specific situation.

I am currently running a wordpress website on godaddy(yes, yes the infamous godaddy...). I have installed it using the installation app godaddy comes with, and it is at the latest version (3.9 at the time of writing), and I need to change due to various factors (one of them being the godaddy install slows things down like no other). I have been testing modx in a wamp server and I absolutely love it, as it gives me a level of freedom I have been searching for since I installed wordpress, but could not achieve through through any cms that uses themes (as far as I can tell, literally every cms except this one, and a couple of paid solutions).

I don't want to take down my wordpress site until my modx one is ready to upload, so what would be the best solution to install modx on the website, edit it, and then replace my main domain with it later? I have heard the best thing to do is leave it in the subfolder, but none of them account for the fact that another cms may already be present.

Also, I can't tell if wordpress created a new database when it installed, or is using one I created prior. On the risk it was the one I created prior, is it a safe idea to have modx use that database, even though wordpress tables exist in it, especially when it comes time to remove wordpress?

And finally, would it be a good idea to stick with godaddy at all? Not just for the fact it hates modx, but just as a web host in general? I am not in charge of my hosting plan, so I need to know if I should try to convince the one who is that we need to switch(again), and if I should, what host would be the best to use? I have heard of a good one called http://www.webhostinghub.com/, but if theres a better one I should use, I would love to hear it (the only requirement is that it needs to be able to host 6 domains and optionally, be easy to use).

I pretty sure thats everything, any advice?

Also, I will be installing modx manually, I have learned my lesson about that.
      • 953 Posts
      My personal take:

1) Leave godaddy - I hosted with them for a short while - emphasis => short while, slow, lack of support, traffic regulated (at least with the package I had)

2) Develop your new site on a local basis - you say you are using wamp, just carry on using it till the site is completely finished and then upload to the live server - make the approrpriate modifications e.g. config.php

I personaly use WAMP and have done so for donkeys years - no problems and great for local development

If you are using the (slow) manager a lot, developing a Revo site on a local basis is less tedious than on a live server

3) Install into a shiny new database that isn't being shared with other systems - my take on this, better for updating the DB, maintenance is also easier when only one system is in one DB

4) Hosting => a task for itself - I have used a variety of providers, but, to date (I am going to get hit for this) 1&1 have been the best for performance, uptime and definitely price.

You can host as many sites as you want in most of their packages, either shared or dedicated.

The huge contra is their Support => If something goes wrong (rare) it goes wrong big style, their support is not helpful, no real tech help, only use call centres with people who don't know what they are talking about.

In rare situations you get someone who knows what they are talking about and can actually help. [ed. note: iusemodx last edited this post 9 years, 11 months ago.]
        • 5 Posts
        Quote from: iusemodx at May 08, 2014, 11:14 PM
        My personal take:

1) Leave godaddy - I hosted with them for a short while - emphasis => short while, slow, lack of support, traffic regulated (at least with the package I had)

2) Develop your new site on a local basis - you say you are using wamp, just carry on using it till the site is completely finished and then upload to the live server - make the approrpriate modifications e.g. config.php

I personaly use WAMP and have done so for donkeys years - no problems and great for local development

If you are using the (slow) manager a lot, developing a Revo site on a local basis is less tedious than on a live server

3) Install into a shiny new database that isn't being shared with other systems - my take on this, better for updating the DB, maintenance is also easier when only one system is in one DB

Thanks for the advice. I have two more questions, the first, do you now have a host that you are satisfied with? And second, what changes will I have to make to the config to make it work when the website is up and running?
          • 953 Posts
          Just updated my first post ref hosting.

Changes e.g. database connection

Best place to look: http://rtfm.modx.com/revolution/2.x/administering-your-site/moving-your-site-to-a-new-server
            • 5 Posts
            Quote from: iusemodx at May 08, 2014, 11:23 PM
            Just updated my first post ref hosting.

Changes e.g. database connection

Best place to look: http://rtfm.modx.com/revolution/2.x/administering-your-site/moving-your-site-to-a-new-server

Thank you for your help, I guess the best thing for me to do now would be to get started on my website.
            • Anytime I can, i prefer to build websites using the modxcloud. If you're new to MODx you should give it a try as it has what you need for latest modx installs plus one click upgrades. You can easily clone instances and start working on new projects from customized boilerplates you create with all the Add-ons you need already in place. I think they have a free trial and new, streamlined plans easier to understand. Just take one important think into account: They do not provide a full featured traditional hosting solution (you'll have no email server, dns controls, etc).

Somehow, i find this separation convenient.
              Maybe you'll spend a bit more but the additional convenience is worth a try.
              I prefer to work in the cloud and not having to migrate to different environments.

If you prefer the traditional way just make sure every required library is correctly installed/configured in your preferred hosting solution and your local environment.
              Everytime i have to install a new modx instance first things i check is Addon download and installation, specifically Gallery addon as it uploads pictures, generates thumbnails, etc (where things like correct folder permissions, thumbnail generation and required libraries like ImageMagick/GD are put to the test)

[ed. note: lithiumlab last edited this post 9 years, 11 months ago.]