We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 953 Posts
    Its stupid o'clock in the morning here and i'm ready for bed - BUT

I have never run into this problem in over 7 years

I presume you still have a copy of the original files - DB and all files from the server

May I suggest - if you have a local server = localhost: wamp, xamp or whatever

Try installing the system on your local machine - get it up and running => update to latest version and then move it to the new server

If that doesn't work (again) then it has something to do with the server and not the setup
      • 953 Posts
      The only other thing I can suggest is:

remove all of the cached files in the "assets/cache" folder e.g. docid_?.pagecache.php - where the ? is a number and delete siteCache.idx.php + sitePublishing.idx.php

Once logged in the files are re-built by the system

In 1.0.13 there are also other files in the cache folder as well e.g. sitehostnames.php, sitemanager.php etc. these shouldn't be deleted

If that still doesn't work try updating the site by removing ALL of the files from the server, then upload the new version and update that way.

Last but not least - If that doesn't work, try installing a fresh copy including DB - just to test if it actualy works

Don't have anymore intellectual answers at almost 3 in the morning smiley
        • 953 Posts
        Just out of interest - what are you exactly re-writing in your .htaccess file ? and where is it ? in the main root or in the subdirectory ?

You are not hosting with 1&1 are you, or hosting with someone who lets you map domains to folders in your servers root ?

If the system is in a subdirectory it should have no effect on the manager, as the manager folder has it own ht.access file.

I also presume you have set the rewrite base in the .htaccess file in the root of your folder to the folders name.
          • 45 Posts
          Hello iusemodx,

I do appreciate your thoughts in the wee hours of the morning! Here's an update on where I'm at now:

I did as you suggested and put all the files and data on my local LAMP server and ran it. I was able to log into the manager just fine, and that made me happy! So then I took the exact same data, made a new database on the server and populated it, connected MODX to it and... same result as before, not logging in. I even deleted all the files and reuploaded them from what worked locally, no success.

So it may be the hosting company's fault, although I have no idea how I would ask them to fix it, since I don't know what's causing the problem, and they'd probably just say it was something wrong on my end. However, I did try creating a brand new MODX site in a different subdirectory, and there were no problems there. I'm stumped!

I deleted the cache files you mentioned, and they just reappear when I (unsuccessfully) log in.

I think what you described with htaccess is basically what I have. As you mentioned, through my host I have the domain set to map to a folder in the main directory. The htaccess file in the modx folder is the one that rewrites, so for example "maindomain.com/modxfolder/" becomes "modxfolder.com". htaccess seems to be working fine.
            • 953 Posts
            It was a short night smiley

May sound strange but:

1) In your local version - change the friendly URL setting to not use FURLs
            2) Upload the local DB to the live site
            3) Rename your root ".htaccess" to "ht.access"
            4) Delete all browser cache + cookies + all cached files in the assets/cache folder
            5) Close all instances of your browser
            6) Start a new browser session and try and log into the site

If that doesn't make a change, I don't know
              • 45 Posts
              Well, I don't have friendly URLs on this site anyway, but I went through the rest of your list with no luck. Looks like this is still a mystery.