We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 79 Posts
    Hi all,

I updated an old site from 1.0.4 to 1.0.13 to make use of a plugin that only worked on .13.

Since the update the site has been unbearably slow. Another site on the same server is still on .4 and the speed is fine.

Any thoughts on how to track down the issue?

Thanks in advance!
    • Could you tell us more about the hosting environment? I haven't noticed any performance differences with the upgrades I have done thus far.
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
        • 79 Posts
        Sure. It's just cheap Linux (not certain which distro) shared hosting:
        Apache version 2.2.26
        PHP version 5.2.17
        MySQL version 5.1.73-cll

Anything else?

Interestingly clicking around the manager is fine, quick as ever but on the front end it's crazy. Initial page load of over 20 seconds - that's just the page the other assets load in very quickly after. [ed. note: suburbiaboy last edited this post 9 years, 11 months ago.]
        • Are there any errors/warnings visible in MODX system log? Maybe the mail address in the MODX config is wrong and mail on errors is active. This could cause a delay.

Other things to check:
          - Is a new generated blank page slow too? Then it could not be caused by a snippet issue.
          - Is it slow even if you deactivate all plugins? Then it could not be caused by a plugin issue.

If you checked both, it could be an already fixed bug in Evo 1.0.13 -> try the latest bugfix https://github.com/modxcms/evolution/archive/bugfix.zip
            • 79 Posts
            You know I think it could be Wayfinder.

The slowest page has an index of all of the other pages on the site (probably 100+). Other pages are identical except they just show a subset. If I disable Wayfinder the page loads instantly. It's version 2.0.2.

There's nothing in the logs.
            • It sounds like your problem is related to this bug (https://github.com/modxcms/evolution/issues/226), if you don't already try setting the level.

That being said you should also upgrade to PHP 5.4.x as soon as possible. In addition to being supported (5.2.x is end of life) it offers both performance and security benefits over older versions.
                • 79 Posts
                Yeah sounds similar although unlike the poster there I've just tried switching back to 2.0.0 and the load speed is back to almost as before. I do have the level set – though possibly higher than needed, I'll take a look at that.

Regarding PHP, you're right but it's outside of my control since it's a shared server. I'll be moving away from it soon anyway...
                • I would suggest trying the site on another server with the current Wayfinder release. If you don't already have hosting setup with another provider I can offer you account to test if that's the problem.

In either case do let us know how things turn out.