We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 437 Posts
    distant_smile Reply #1, 10 years ago
    Hi all,

I've just added a Freefind search bar to my site and it was working great. But this morning it was really slow and when I checked modx there were loads of cached pages. I take it that is what has slowed down the search because when I cleared the cache it was quick again. So firstly, can I turn cache off and secondly if I do what are the consequences?

Regards
    DS
      www.PawsForWildlife.co.uk
      www.Borntobrick.co.uk
    • Could you tell us more about your hosting environment and what if any other changes you made at the same time?

Also what version of MODX Evolution are you using?
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
        • 437 Posts
        distant_smile Reply #3, 10 years ago
        Hi AMD,

I deleted off my old Ajaxsearches as they were taking far to long to show results. I then created a search with Freefind.com and inserted that in it's place. The host details for my site are as follows (hopefully it will have any info you need):

Resolved IP: 82.165.67.168
        Web Server Header
        HTML Response: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
        Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 08:32:28 GMT
        Server: Apache
        X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.9
        P3P: CP="NOI NID ADMa OUR IND UNI COM NAV"
        Cache-Control: private, must-revalidate
        Connection: close
        Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

I am using Evo 1.0.4.

Regards,
        DS
          www.Borntobrick.co.uk
        • Please tell me your host isn't using PHP 4.4.9. If that's correct that is EXTREMELY bad.

Also could you upgrade to Evolution 1.0.13?
            • 437 Posts
            distant_smile Reply #5, 10 years ago
            Hi AMD,

I can upgrade to PHP 5.4 or 5.5, but I have held off as I don't know what affect it may have on my website. I am worried that it may affect my code and then my pages won't render correctly. I am thinking of upgrading and building a brand new site with Revolution but I don't know how to create it alongside my current site without it being affected

Regards,
            DS
              www.Borntobrick.co.uk
            • I wouldn't be worried about the affect PHP 5.4 will have on your site, but instead the affects of running an EOL PHP (http://php.net/eol.php). They "killed" off PHP 4.4.x over five and a half years ago. The security risks of running that old of a version are beyond scary.

My recommendation would be upgrading to Evolution 1.0.13 and PHP 5.4 now. If the site is strictly MODX Evolution powered, and you don't have any custom snippets, plugins, or modules then it will work fine. If you do have custom code the migration guides on the EOL page will help you with any potential problems and/or post back with the errors.

In regards to building a site with Revolution, you could use a subfolder/subdomain, or you could use MODX Cloud and transfer it when finished. You will need PHP 5.2.x or better (PHP 5.4 recommended) to run Revolution.
                • 437 Posts
                distant_smile Reply #7, 10 years ago
                Thanks AMD I have just upgraded to PHP 5.4 and adjusted the .htaccess file to suit, but have now had this appear instead of my homepage

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I'm not really sure what to do with that? Any ideas?

Regards DS
                  www.Borntobrick.co.uk
                • It sounds like the .htaccess code you are attempting to use isn't supported, which would cause the error in question. Generally, the problem is attempting to use php_value or php_flag values in the .htaccess file that cause the error.

If you use a custom php.ini file it should resolve the problem.