We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 305 Posts
    My e-mail are sent out, but I cannot just reply, I always have to click on their e-mail address, then type my message, paste the original message, and then hit send. Instead of just hitting reply and it sending to the original sender. Obviously because my Formit emails are being sent from me (the owner) instead of using the senders address.

MyEmail chunck looks this:

[[!FormIt? 
         &emailUseFieldForSubject=`1`
         emailFrom
    ]]
    Message from: Website Contact Form   
    <br /><br />
    Name: [[+name]]<br />
    E-Mail: ([[+email]])    
    <br /><br /> 

This is my contact form snipplet:
    [[!FormIt?
    &hooks=`recaptcha,spam,email,redirect`
    &submitVar=`go`
    &emailTpl=`MyEmail` 
    &emailTo=`[email protected]` 
    &redirectTo=`7` 
    &validate=`name:required, 
    	email:email:required, 
    	subject:required,
    	text:required:stripTags`
    ]]

I have this same problem with all my contact forms using FormIt. It would be much easier if I could just hit reply and it would reply to the original senders e-mail, will all the original information attached to the bottom of the reply.

I don't know how to do this? And I don't know if I need to add the setting directly to my contact form or my e-mail sent snipplet. In most e-mails you can just hit reply and forward the original e-mail back to the original sender. How can I do this? [ed. note: wbbuilder last edited this post 10 years, 2 months ago.]
      Making the web a better place on site at a time! Dayton Web Design: http://www.dayton-web-design.com/
      • 305 Posts
      Uhhhhh... Don't know what I was thinking but the email that is sent does reply to the sender properly. So this entire post is null and void. What I want to call myself is not politically correct, so we will just say I was very tired when I posted this. That is putting my temporary insanity politely.

Oh well on the bright side it's beautiful when your problem is magically fixed wink
        Making the web a better place on site at a time! Dayton Web Design: http://www.dayton-web-design.com/
      • Glad to know it's fixed... but what is the formIt call doing in your email tpl chunk?
          Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
          "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
          Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
          • 305 Posts
          You mean this:
          [[!FormIt?
               emailFrom
          ]]

I think that adds the subject and the email from sender to the email. At least I believe that is why this is added.
            • 305 Posts
            I might be wrong here and it has been a long time (maybe 2 or more years) but I think Bob Ray helped me with this coding some time back to add a subject to my e-mails. Like I said I am not 100% sure due to the age I first added this code, but I thought maybe this was meant to add some details to the e-mail.
            • No, go ahead and take that out of the email tpl, it's helpless in there and can't do nothin for ya. That is simply a chunk of html that will render the results of the formIt placeholders.

That call goes in the form itself only. The call is incomplete anyway (emailfrom would need to be &emailFrom=`[email protected]`). The &emailFrom parameter tells the recipient who the email is from, not who to reply to.

How about I guess... you're site is hosted by GoDaddy?

This might be insightful, as it appears that GoDaddy and formIt don't play well in regards to the emailFrom bit. http://forums.modx.com/index.php/topic,54348.msg313814.html

What you want is the opposite of what most want from a submission form. The default behavior for formIt is to send from the email set in system settings, or what you specify in the formIt call with &emailFrom=`[email protected]`

If you've got it working as you want, it sounds like this GoDaddy (or GoDaddy similar) issue is serving you just fine.
                "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
                • 305 Posts
                Frogabog,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. Most of my installations are hosted on my own server with CPanel and they run just fine. A few clients of mine still use GoDaddy and sometimes new installs have issues, but I have already identified the current GoDaddy and Formit installation issues.

What I do is copy and paste the Email chunck from installation to installation to speed up my web design process. As you know FormIt does not add this chunck automatically, so I always look at a previous installation and just copy this detail for speed. It is possible or even highly likely this coding got added on one of my first GoDaddy installations, and then since has been copied into all others.

Today is clean up day to remove this. Once again thank you for taking the time to help me understand that his coding is uneeded in all my current and future installations.
                • FWIW, Bob wouldn't tell you to put a formIt snippet call in the email chunk. Not without a concussion or something similar clouding his mind. Understandably things get confused after a time, but I would never want to tarnish his reputation and claim that he once said this might work, even on a GoDaddy server.

Although, this makes me curious if a placeholder of something like [[+email]] in the &emailFrom parameter might allow the form to show that it's sent "from" the person submitting the form. Never even tried that to know one way or the other but it would make sense.

&emailFrom=`[[+email]]`

Worth a try... (someone please set me straight?) [ed. note: frogabog last edited this post 10 years, 2 months ago.]
                    • 305 Posts
                    Yeah I thought about clarifying that Bob would not have done that. My memory was flawed; Bob has helped me with many things Obviously this was not one of them.

To Bob: Sorry I was wrong!

The e-mails are already sent to me from the sender, so my whole reason for starting this post was flawed. I don't need to add any additional coding to fix this. I can just hit reply. But I am also able to display the sender directly in the email via this coding in MyEmail chunck:
                     E-Mail: ([[+email]])

This also puts the senders e-mail address directly in the e-mail so I can see it as well.
                    • I can see how this would be useful now, although I have to admit I never thought of it before. I'm interested to know how it's done automatically on your server. Furthermore, what if you wanted to send your contacts a copy of their submission (for whatever reason). Would their emails show as coming from themselves?

Bob's a laid back guy, I wouldn't worry... it's why we keep him (amongst other things naturally).