We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 573 Posts
    Hi,

Is it possible to assign resources on a user by user basis, rather than creating a user group? A client wants an interface to pick a selection of resources for each web user to view.
    • Put the user(s) in their own user group(s) and resource group(s). Then teach the client to use permissions? (bad, bad idea...)

But to answer, no. There's no other way to assign resources just by user. If you can get some kind of idea of which pages a group/type of user will see, it would be better to set up a few user and resource groups for the client to choose from when setting up users and keep clients blissfully unaware of the hazards of touching permissions ever.
        Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
        • 24,544 Posts
        There are various other solutions involving TVs, plugins, and Form Customization rules, but I think that the easiest thing, as Frogabog suggests, would be to just protect all the pages on the site that you might want to hide from anyone by putting them all in a resource groups and connecting that resource group to the Administator user group with a Resource Group Access ACL entry.

Then create a bunch of well-named Resource Groups which each contain subsets of the Resources, and a bunch of well-named User Groups that have access to various of the Resource Groups.

You could then create a front-end form that let the client assign users to User Groups and maybe remove them from groups. The form could show the list of resources available to each group. Since you can put a user in more than one group, it should let the client do what he or she wants without having to learn about the intricacies of MODX permissions.

If you really need completely granular control, each Resource Group could contain one Resource and be Named after that Resource. That would make the form even simpler, with a drop-down to select the user and a checkbox for each Resource Group.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting