We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 128 Posts
    I'm sure I'm not the only one to run into this: A client required that we use godaddy for hosting, and of course they have a contact form on the site. But, MODx just won't send the message or you get an error like "An error occurred while trying to send the email. Could not instantiate mail function.". If you've tried everything else, try turning on MODx's SMTP mail delivery. This will log into the email account and send the message as if it were sending through a webmail portal, rather than having php send the mail through the server's mail function.

Go into System Settings, filter for "SMTP" then update the following(I'm making an assumption that you've created a real email account at godaddy):
    SMTP Authentication: Yes
    SMTP Hosts: smtpout.secureserver.net
    SMTP Password: [A REAL GODADDY ACCOUNT EMAIL PASSWORD]
    SMTP Port: 80
    SMTP User: [A REAL GODADDY ACCOUNT EMAIL ADDRESS]
    Use SMTP: Yes

I hope this helps someone!
      I LOVE MODX! | greyskymedia.com
      • 305 Posts
      I think I have the same issue here as you. My e-mails are not being sent via this GoDaddy server but on all my other installations it sends. Anyone resolve this issue?
        Making the web a better place on site at a time! Dayton Web Design: http://www.dayton-web-design.com/
        • 305 Posts
        Sorry I should have read better. My issue is MyEmail chunk is not being sent to my e-mail address. In the past with GoDaddy and now it was being blocked. I will have to call GoDaddy in the morning. Either way it's not related to this post.
          Making the web a better place on site at a time! Dayton Web Design: http://www.dayton-web-design.com/
          • 305 Posts
          Just got off the phone with GoDaddy and I have had issues with them in the past as far as sending email via FormiIt. If you are having issues sending emails on a GoDaddy server this might help:

In my case I was sending and receiving from the same e-mail address. So if in your snipplet you have emails being sent to: [email protected], then if you fill out the form on the front end and use this same address, GoDaddy will block. Obviously this is typical for SPAM blocking as many use your own address to send you SPAM. If you use the same address it's likely to get blocked according to support and my own experience.

So i used a different address as the sender and they started coming through. I also cleared out Cache and logged out after updating the email address and before reloading the form on the front end. This helped I think.

According to the tech support from GoDaddy if you are using CPanel for your GoDaddy hosting you will likely have to call them to get the email block listed. While my control panel was not CPanel it did not have the brand lifted. I only know this because the support agent told me, so didn't have this issue.

Summary: Call GoDaddy support if you are using CPanel and ask them to unblock, otherwise use a different address in the from form while testing. Hope this helps others.
            • 1 Posts
            Sound like a good thread..