We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Use this topic to collect and centralize enhancement request.

Cheers
      Evo Revo // Ubuntu, CentOS, Win // Apache 2x, Lighttp (Lighty)
      Visit CharlesMx.com for latest news and status updates.
      • 305 Posts
      Charles MX Form is great, absolutely love the interface, but I have just a few problems/questions.

1. When I add the snipplet to my form page: [[mxfb?&formid=`1`]] it adds the form just fine, but there is no submit button. Are there diffrent variables I have to add to this snipplet get a submit button?
      2. Documentation does not show this forum to post feedback, I had to search Google to fins forum support. The overall documentaion looks good but it's missing a few key elements to help newbees.
      A. Documentation can use additional links pointing to the your forum posts for additional help.
      B. Documentatation could have screenshots explaining the Field values themselves. You have great instructions and snapshots of the create new form, the same instructions for the Field Values is much needed. I am/was confused as to what these variables mean.
      C. How can I add CAPTCHA? Documentation does not address this.
      D. How do I modify the form template?
      3. Is it possible to re-organize each form field by sort order? Right now if I accidentally create form fields they seem to be stuck in that order. It would be nice to re-arrange. Otherwise I have to delete all my work and start over to get my form fields in the correct order. (Update: You can drag each form field up and down and it will re-ogranzize. I was confused because when I grabbed each form field the pop-up displayed: "1 Row Selected" so it's a hidden feature)
      4. My custom error message shows for each error when the page is initially loaded (and before any data is set). I am wondering why these error messages do not display after the submit button.

Please note that I understand you put much time and effort into this contribution and I absolutely love your effort. I am only providing this feedback to possible help others with the same issues and help increase your downloads.

Your help would be much appreciated. [ed. note: wbbuilder last edited this post 10 years, 5 months ago.]
        Making the web a better place on site at a time! Dayton Web Design: http://www.dayton-web-design.com/
      • No worries about feedback - worst case is I spent all the time to create this and nobody uses it, so absolutely all feedback is welcome especially the bad.

1. You have to add a field to the form and select the type as button - submit
        2. Yes, documentation is critical and I admit very lacking at this point. Its a priority of mine to get updated and would also look to others in the community to help out where they can.
        3. When you ask "How do I modify the form template" there are several different chunks that create the form wrappers. The main one you are probably looking for is the wrapperTpl which contains the outer div and form tags. This can be modified with the parameter &wrapperTpl=`yourWrapperChunk`
        4. Reordering is done by drag-n-drop in the form field grid. That will change the order they are displayed in the output as well.
        5. Error messaging on initial page load is addressed in the next release. The next release will require a valid submission before listing. The initial intent was to give explanation as to requirements of the form by default on load. You'll not that if there are errors after a submit now you'll get the additional error messaging above the form not just next to each field.

Hope those start to help explain more, please do ask for more information as needed.

Cheers

Quote from: wbbuilder at Nov 15, 2013, 05:01 PM
        Charles MX Form is great, absolutely love the interface, but I have just a few problems/questions.

1. When I add the snipplet to my form page: [[mxfb?&formid=`1`]] it adds the form just fine, but there is no submit button. Are there diffrent variables I have to add to this snipplet get a submit button?
        2. Documentation does not show this forum to post feedback, I had to search Google to fins forum support. The overall documentaion looks good but it's missing a few key elements to help newbees.
        A. Documentation can use additional links pointing to the your forum posts for additional help.
        B. Documentatation could have screenshots explaining the Field values themselves. You have great instructions and snapshots of the create new form, the same instructions for the Field Values is much needed. I am/was confused as to what these variables mean.
        C. How can I add CAPTCHA? Documentation does not address this.
        D. How do I modify the form template?
        3. Is it possible to re-organize each form field by sort order? Right now if I accidentally create form fields they seem to be stuck in that order. It would be nice to re-arrange. Otherwise I have to delete all my work and start over to get my form fields in the correct order. (Update: You can drag each form field up and down and it will re-ogranzize. I was confused because when I grabbed each form field the pop-up displayed: "1 Row Selected" so it's a hidden feature)
        4. My custom error message shows for each error when the page is initially loaded (and before any data is set). I am wondering why these error messages do not display after the submit button.

Please note that I understand you put much time and effort into this contribution and I absolutely love your effort. I am only providing this feedback to possible help others with the same issues and help increase your downloads.

Your help would be much appreciated.
        • General question of captcha or other common form elements: Should a default field type for reCaptcha and/or other captcha style scripts be packaged by default? If so which is your preferred choice.

Cheers
            • 305 Posts
            Quote from: charless at Nov 18, 2013, 08:12 PM
            General question of captcha or other common form elements: Should a default field type for reCaptcha and/or other captcha style scripts be packaged by default? If so which is your preferred choice.

Cheers

First thank you for the feedback above it's much appreciated!

I would love to see a reCAPTCHA default. I normally use FormIt and this has reCAPTCHA variables we enter in the system settings area. If this were included in your script it would be an upgrade over FormIt as it's a much easier installation, setup, and management. Plus it includes the ability to create multiple forms with duplicating much content.

Also, while we are on the subject of enhancements. If it were possible to copy the same form field from another form, instead of recreating the form field again, it would make life much easier. I have 3 different forms now and was adding the same form fields over and over, instead of copying an already existing form field.
              Making the web a better place on site at a time! Dayton Web Design: http://www.dayton-web-design.com/
            • Quote from: wbbuilder at Nov 18, 2013, 08:26 PM

Also, while we are on the subject of enhancements. If it were possible to copy the same form field from another form, instead of recreating the form field again, it would make life much easier. I have 3 different forms now and was adding the same form fields over and over, instead of copying an already existing form field.

Ah yes, absolutly and its coming in the next release. You'll have a new option to "Add/Duplicate Existing Field" in the form field grid. This will allow you to select from the list of fields already created in mxFormBuilder, then when selected will duplicate that form field for use in the current form. This method create unique form fields inside each form.

The alternative method, say for example a survey type of form where you always have questions that have a rank from 1 - 5. This would be better solved using a new field type and setting up the options list like: High==5,Good==4,Fair==3,Somewhat==2,Poor==1 then you can reuse that same "field type" across all forms. Then say the options change all you do is change it in one place and they change globally. See options list in RTFM for more info.

Cheers
              • Hi Charles,
                I am currently using this plugin in a project and I think you did a fabulous job here. However what is the deal with the form showing errors on initial load? If I were to just hide that with css, I was wondering if error messages for all fields get shown in the alert box at the top of the form?
                  Benjamin Davis: American web designer living in Munich, Germany and a MODX Ambassador. I am also co-founder of SEDA.digital, a MODX Agency.
                  • 1,572 Posts
                  Were having the same issue, we tried hiding it with CSS but then the alerts don't show when the form is submitted without filling in one of the required fields.

Did you find a solution for this ?
                  • I've got a fix for this that makes it a property of the form that can be set. Will be out in the next release.

Cheers

Quote from: sonicpunk at Mar 07, 2014, 01:16 PM
                    Hi Charles,
                    I am currently using this plugin in a project and I think you did a fabulous job here. However what is the deal with the form showing errors on initial load? If I were to just hide that with css, I was wondering if error messages for all fields get shown in the alert box at the top of the form?
                      • 1,572 Posts
                      Great addon Charles,

Would it be possible for you to add the ! to the code to add to the templates as default, got a couple of clients that just paste the outputted code and can't work out why the forms dont work, for example:

[[!mxfb?&formid=`3`]]