We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 160 Posts
    I'm trying to build a geolocation addon and I'm running into a little problem. Much of what I have read, for the best performance, I should save a location in a geometry field, specifically a point, and then run my query's from this field. The problem is that I must save to this field using the mysql POINT() function. I've been able to get around this problem using select statements, but I'm having real problems inserting this field. What happens is that everything appears to look good in the query except the apostrophes around the function.

Problem query:
    INSERT INTO `modx_sekgl_locations` (`ref_id`, `address`, `lat`, `lng`, `loc`, `createdon`, `editedon`) VALUES ('2', '1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, NC 27889, USA', '35.5402684', '-77.0339597', 'POINT(35.5402684,-77.0339597)', '2013-09-13 21:03:40', '0000-00-00 00:00:00')

If I remove the apostrophes and run the query manually, everything works great.

My schema:
        <object class="sekglLocations" table="sekgl_locations" extends="xPDOSimpleObject">
            <field key="ref_id" dbtype="varchar" precision="10" phptype="string" null="false" index="unique" default="" />
            <field key="address" dbtype="text" phptype="string" null="false" default=""/>
            <field key="lat" dbtype="decimal" precision="10,6" phptype="float" null="true" default="0.000000" index="index" indexgrp="LATLNG" />
            <field key="lng" dbtype="decimal" precision="10,6" phptype="float" null="true" default="0.000000" index="index" indexgrp="LATLNG" />
            <field key="loc" dbtype="point" phptype="string" null="false" index="spatial"/>

<field key="createdon" dbtype="timestamp" phptype="timestamp" null="false" default="0000-00-00 00:00:00" index="index" indexgrp="EDITSTAMP" />
            <field key="editedon" dbtype="timestamp" phptype="timestamp" null="false" default="0000-00-00 00:00:00" index="index" indexgrp="EDITSTAMP" />

<index alias="REF" name="REF" primary="false" unique="false" type="BTREE">
                <column key="ref_id" length="" collation="A" null="false" />
            </index>
            <index alias="LOCATION" name="LOCATION" primary="false" unique="false" type="BTREE">
                <column key="loc" length="" collation="A" null="false" />
            </index>
            <index alias="LATLNG" name="LATLNG" primary="false" unique="false" type="BTREE">
                <column key="lat" length="" collation="A" null="false" />
                <column key="lng" length="" collation="A" null="false" />
            </index>
            <index alias="EDITSTAMP" name="EDITSTAMP" primary="false" unique="false" type="BTREE">
                <column key="createdon" length="" collation="A" null="false" />
                <column key="editedon" length="" collation="A" null="false" />
            </index>
        </object>

My snippet places the lat and lng into the object,then in my class I have:
    class sekglLocations extends xPDOSimpleObject {
        public function save($cacheFlag= null) {
            if ($this->isNew()) {
                $this->set('createdon','NOW');
            } else {
                $this->set('editedon','NOW');
            }

$this->set('loc','POINT('.$this->get('lat').','.$this->get('lng').')');

$saved= parent :: save($cacheFlag);
            return $saved;
        }
    }

Note: I did try to change the phptype in the loc field to something other than string, the source of the apostrophes I'm sure. Neither integer, array, nor object work, which I did not expect them to fix my problem. Also slightly annoying, setting index to 'spatial' does not work, it changes automatically to 'index'.
      • 160 Posts
      It looks as though this happens with several functions, where apostrophes are placed around functions. Is there a way to change this default behavior?
        • 119 Posts
        Hey insomnix, did you ever figure this one out?
          Studio Republic
          http://www.studiorepublic.com
          0845 226 3205
          @christodhunter
          • 160 Posts
          Yes and no. I had to build a workaround. I haven't completed the module, it was more a proof of concept for a project I never really got going. Below is the workaround I built.

class sekglLocations extends xPDOSimpleObject {
              public function save($cacheFlag= null) {
                  if($this->get('lat') == '') $this->set('lat',0);
                  if($this->get('lat') == '') $this->set('lng',0);
                  if ($this->isNew()) {
                      //$this->set('createdon','NOW');
                      $sql= "INSERT INTO ".$this->xpdo->getTableName('sekglLocations')." (`ref_id`, `address`, `address_components`, `lat`, `lng`, `loc`, `createdon`) VALUES ";
                      $sql.= "('".$this->get('ref_id')."', '".$this->get('address')."', '".json_encode($this->get('address_components'))."', '".$this->get('lat')."', '".$this->get('lng')."', POINT(".$this->get('lat').", ".$this->get('lng')."), NOW())";
                      $this->xpdo->log(xPDO::LOG_LEVEL_ERROR,' '.$sql);
                      $stmt= $this->xpdo->prepare($sql);
                      $return= $stmt->execute();
                  } else {
                      //$this->set('editedon','NOW');
                      $sql= "UPDATE ".$this->xpdo->getTableName('sekglLocations')." SET `ref_id`='".$this->get('ref_id')."',`address`='".$this->get('address')."',`address_components`='".json_encode($this->get('address_components'))."',`lat`='".$this->get('lat')."',`lng`='".$this->get('lng')."',`loc`=POINT(".$this->get('lat').", ".$this->get('lng')."),`editedon`=NOW() WHERE `id`=".$this->get('id');
                      $this->xpdo->log(xPDO::LOG_LEVEL_ERROR,' '.$sql);
                      $stmt= $this->xpdo->prepare($sql);
                      $return= $stmt->execute();
                  }
                  //$this->set('loc','POINT('.$this->get('lat').','.$this->get('lng').')');
                  //$this->set('loc',0);
                  return $return;

//$saved= parent :: save($cacheFlag);
                  //return $saved;
              }

}

• 119 Posts
            That really helped - thanks for sharing. The only change I had to make was to add:
            $this->_fields[$this->getPK()]= $this->xpdo->lastInsertId();

to the insert function to make the unique id accessible
              Studio Republic
              http://www.studiorepublic.com
              0845 226 3205
              @christodhunter
              • 160 Posts
              Glad I could help.